Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Standing on the Rock!

This morning I am reflecting on Jesus' comments about hearing His words AND acting on them.  Good Stuff!  Here are the verses - Matthew 7:24-29 NIV:

[24] “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. [25] The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. [26] But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. [27] The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

[28] "When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, [29] because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law."

Two things stood out to me this morning. First, Jesus says that it is hearing and putting His words into practice that allows one to build on a foundation of rock.  In other words, simply listening is not sufficient.  Good intentions won't cut it.  His words must be put into practice, or acted upon.  In John 14:15, Jesus speaks of of love and obedience.  Obedience isn't agreeing, it is doing.

Obedience isn't the demand, it is the invitation to choose to do what He says!  There are no whips, no shock collars, no forms of punishment that are being used to force us to obey, it is always our choice!  I choose daily, even multiple times a day, to follow or ignore His voice.  Sometimes its significant things, other times little things that seem unimportant.  I know that each choice to follow, to obey, actually strengthens my will to continue to obey.  I also find the opposite to be true as well, one little act of disobedience can quickly lead me astray.  For example, if I am on a diet and have sworn off candy, the only way I can maintain focus and obey my plan is if I am vigorous in saying no.  I can't have one little piece of candy, because I will continue to go back and give myself that candy allowance, and pretty soon my diet is blown, all because of that one little piece.  I need to go all in, and choose to obey my plan, and stick to it.  In the same way, I need to go all in, and choose to follow the Lord's direction every time, big or small.  Lord, help me!

I was just thinking at the end of the day sand is just rock that has been broken down, one little piece at a time.  We want to stand on rock, not sand!

Lastly, I was reflecting on the last statement that Matthew added - how people were amazed at the teaching of Jesus.  He taught with authority, not as their teachers of the Law. The allusion here is that their teachers didn't teach with authority.  That really is an interesting statement.  Have you ever been taught by someone who teaches without authority??  I don't think Matthew is meaning the ability  to maintain classroom control, but rather someone who doesn't seem to know their subject matter.  I was thinking that Jesus probably seemed like He was the first infomercial, someone who really sounded like He knew what He was talking about!

I think part of the issue came from the tradition of the Jews to always question, and break things down as small as possible. If you look at the Talmud, you will see the original Covenant of the Law interpreted into 600+ additional laws, that were the result of someone asking a defining question, lots of arguments, and then some new law being added, but this being rule so of men, and not the Law of the Lord. I am not saying this is a bad thing, for they were trying to obey the letter of the Law, and trying to understand exactly what was meant.  So when the Law says you shall not work on the sabbath, the Talmud broke that down into some 39 groups, and within those groups, many specific examples. In the end the Talmud has some 6000+ pages, and records well the vast amount of information a Rabbi needed to know or understand to comment on a particular subject.

Jesus, it appears, cut through all the trivial nit-picking, and instead spoke as one who understood the heart behind the Law.  He spoke as the author not someone trying to define exactly what the author meant.  He spoke as someone who knew the law, who embodied the law, and more importantly expressed the true motivation and purpose of the Law, finally becoming the fulfilment of the Law!  Jesus wasn't just a great teacher, He was the author (and finisher).

In the same way, in our life He speaks to us as our creator, our author!  He knows exactly what we were created for, what purpose we have in life, our part in His plan, and we would be wise to listen to Him!  His words should ring true in our hearts, even if we are trying to drown them out.  He knows us, speaks life to us, and desires to be the foundation of our lives, our Rock on which we can stand (Psalm 40:2).

Lord, help me to hear and put Your words into practice in my life!  Help me to choose You and Your will over and over again!  Help me to choose to stand on the Rock!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment