Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Stepping Out of the Boat!

This morning I am reminded of the story of Peter walking on the water for a few steps.  It is found in Matthew 14:22-33 NIV:

[22] "Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. [23] After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, [24] and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.

[25] Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. [26] When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It's a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.

[27] But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid.”

[28] “Lord, if it's you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

[29] “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.

[30] But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

[31] Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

[32] And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. [33] Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”


Lately I have been reflecting on those times when things don't turn out the way you thought they would, and I think this is one of those situations.  My focus this morning is on Peter, and his faith and his fear.

I think Peter was really quite courageous to even speak back to Jesus, let alone get out of the boat!  Here they are out in the middle of the lake, waves and wind were kicking up all around them, and they see Jesus walking on the water.  It says they were terrified, and I think that is probably an understatement.  Many of these guys were fishermen, and I am sure they thought it was the ghost of some fisherman who had drowned in the Sea of Galilee.  Most people's response to seeing someone where no one is supposed to be is to be very startled and most of the time it results in fear.  However seeing someone walking on top of the water, in the middle of the sea, is way beyond just a startling experience!  I am sure they first spotted Jesus a ways off and were watching Him approach in growing fear and trepidation.  They were probably rowing faster, praying to God, doing everything they could to get away, for the natural reaction to fear is flight.  Finally as Jesus approached they were likely overcome with terror and probably shrunk down into the boat!  Jesus seeing their obvious distress calls out to them.  It seems that Peter is the only one who has his wits about him, although that is debatable, as he challenges Jesus to tell him to walk on the water!  :-)

This isn't like taking another step on the sidewalk, this goes against all that he had ever known or understood about the Sea.  In my life, more than half the time when I feel like the Lord is asking me to do something, especially if its as simple as talking to someone, I react in fear and usually chicken out.  This is way beyond that, for Peter is actually putting his life in mortal danger, for they are far out to sea and with the winds and waves, he would have a very difficult time swimming back to the boat or shore.  To make matters more challenging, it appears he doesn't disrobe to go swimming, just in case he fails, he just steps out of the boat. That took some real courage, or maybe mindless fear, but whatever the case Peter stepped out onto the water.

The reason I was thinking about this story this morning, is that I have lived my life trying to follow Jesus' direction, doing things that I feel like He invites me to do, sometimes the things defy logic or what we would call wise-counsel.  There have been several times where I was really stepping into the unknown, stepping out in faith, believing that the Lord had told me to take the step.  Faith to take the step is very commendable, and I am always encouraged by those who do so, even when it seems absurd or illogical.  Peter is doing exactly that in this story.

Continuing on with the story, Peter has a moment of incredible awesomeness as he takes his first couple of steps!  I can't imagine much that would be cooler than walking on water (well maybe flying without any aid or apparatus).  It must have been exhilarating!  While Peter kept his gaze on Jesus, and his faith intact,  he seemed to be ok.  However, Peter started looking at the waves and feeling the wind, and I think his natural understanding over-ruled his faith and trust, and fear replaced faith.  I wonder if part of Peter's problem was that it wasn't like he expected it to be?  When I think of walking on water, I think about it being still, and smooth as glass.  I don't think about surging waves, and heavy winds.  I wonder if Peter thought it would suddenly turn peaceful when he stepped out onto the water?  We know that was not the case, as it says Peter became afraid when He saw the wind.  (I don't know about you, but I have never seen the wind, just the effects of the wind, so I am thinking that's the case here too). What we do know is that Peter is no longer looking at the Lord, but he is instead looking at his impossible surroundings, and fear takes over, and he begins to sink!  Not Good!

I am greatly encouraged by the next line, for it says Jesus IMMEDIATELY reached out His hand and caught him (Peter).  Jesus was apparently still standing on the water, and caught Peter and likely stood him up next to him.  Its like Jesus supported Peter in the very circumstance He called him into, then immediately helped him climb back into the boat.  Jesus does say to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"  At least that is the way we translate it  The word little faith in Greek is oligopistos, and in addition to meaning little, it also can mean short time, or brief.  I think that actually makes a bit more sense in this instance, as Peter clearly had immense faith, it just was brief!  The Greek word distavo is translated doubt, but its root means twice, as in thinking twice!  Again, that seems to be very applicable in this instance!  Peter gets out of the boat starts walking on the water, climbing the waves, and suddenly he thinks again, this time with his natural mind and fear overtakes him. The good news is that Jesus saves him, helps him back into the boat, and then the wind died down.

Looking closely at the final line in the story, I think we see the actual purpose of this whole situation, for Jesus never did anything without intent.  They were all convinced that Jesus was truly the Son of God.  In other words, this was an opportunity for Jesus to reveal His calling in greater clarity, and reveal the Father's love, encouraging and saving nature.  Jesus, in calling Peter onto the water, wasn't hoping he would fail, He was wanting Peter to succeed.  He wanted Peter to understand that the Kingdom reality is superior to the natural reality.  Jesus was demonstrating that to all the disciples in the boat, and wants us to understand that as well.

Stepping into the Kingdom realities takes faith, takes courage, takes a focus on the Lord and obeying His voice.  He doesn't want us to fail, but rather wants us to succeed.  When I look back to Jesus' comments to Peter, I hear more sadness than judgment.  It seems to me that Jesus is basically saying, "oh Peter, if only you hadn't been afraid, imagine how cool that would have been!  Imagine how much more your faith would have grown! Its ok, next time try to stay focused on me and believe what I tell you!"  Jesus understood Peter's fear, He understood the incredible faith it took Peter to take that step, and He wasn't going to punish him for doing so.  In the same way Jesus wants us to succeed when we step out in faith.  He knows how much faith it takes, how much we are overcoming our fear, how much we will learn in the process.  He knows it won't be exactly like we expect, and He knows we might give in to our fear and fail.  He, is right there to save us, to support us to bring us to a place of safety!  HE wants us to grow in our understanding of the Kingdom realities, and the only way we are fully going to do that is through experience!

So, my encouragement today is to take that step in faith, or to keep taking those steps in faith, believing the Lord will save me, will support me and if necessary help me back to a safe place.  He knows that winds and waves are all around, but He wants me to learn to walk on top of it, and walk into it without fear!  FInally, He wants me to understand His loving, His caring and His encouraging nature!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment