Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, January 5, 2019

DO NOT LET Your Hearts Be Troubled!

Last evening I opened my Bible up to some very familiar verses from John's Gospel.  I know they spoke immediately to my heart as I read them.  Here are the verses - John 14:26-27 NIV:

[26] "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. [27] Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

What a great promise for difficult times!

The verse that caught my eye was verse 27, specifically the end of the verse.  Jesus tells us "Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid!"  Notice who the onus is on for managing these two things, fear and trouble or anxiety!  Jesus says to us, "Do not LET your hearts be troubled!"  In other words, we can willfully halt anxiety or troubled hearts from happening.

The Greek word that is used and translated troubled is Tarasso and it is defined as follows:

1) to agitate, trouble (a thing, by the movement of its parts to and fro)
    a) to cause one inward commotion, take away his calmness of mind, disturb his equanimity
    b) to disquiet, make restless
    c) to stir up
    d) to trouble
           1) to strike one's spirit with fear and dread
    e) to render anxious or distressed

Jesus tells us to not let this happen to our hearts.  The heart is considered the core of our being, our passions flow out of our heart and one could say the heart represents our inner man.  Thus, having a divided heart, having a restless heart, having and agitated heart (one that can't decide where to align), or allowing fear and dread, anxiety to strike our heart is what Jesus is telling us NOT to allow.  If this is true, that we cannot actually decide to not let our hearts be troubled, then the Lord is calling us into that reality, and giving us the opportunity and the ability to embrace His peace!

Now, to be clear I don't think I am talking about those that suffer from Anxiety attacks and such.  I believe this is focused at those followers of Christ, who struggle trusting God to fulfill His promises.  We see things difficult rolling towards us, we tend to try and grab control of our lives back, rather than turning the wheel over to the Lord to help us navigate through the coming situation!  We allow fear, uncertainty and doubt to throw us off-track.  Again, if we can keep this trouble from settling into our hearts, we can maintain our peaceful disposition, and look to the Holy Spirit for guidance and direction.  If we are trying to yank the wheel back into our control, we basically shut out the one who was sent to help us!

Jesus continues on - "Do NOT be afraid!"

Sometimes that seems like an empty encouragement, but remember the courage that was poured out into the disciples at Pentecost!  They went from being people afraid, locked in the upper room, to standing in front of thousands (likely some o the same people that had been chanting to crucify Jesus) and proclaimed the Gospel fearlessly.  They were filled with the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, and they were no longer afraid. This same gift and power is available to us today!  Jesus wants us to experience His peace!   He is giving away the answers, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, providing us a path through the difficulty we might be experiencing!  Wow that is good news!

So again, back to the encouragement from Jesus, "DO NOT LET your hearts be troubled and DO NOT be afraid."  The question is who do we do these?  I believe Paul provides an answer in his letter to the Colossians 3:1-4,12-15 NIV:

[1] "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. [2] Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. [3] For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. [4] When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory."

[12] "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. [13] Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. [14] And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

[15] "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful."

As I read these verses, I see that I have the ability to aim my heart and mind towards heaven, and think on those things rather than my own present difficult circumstances.  If I turn my eyes and my thoughts away from my own self, and choose to act in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and love towards others, we can free ourselves from the chains of fear and anxiety that affect us when we are inward or self focused.

I know my tendency is to shrivel into myself when I face difficult situations, and the Lord would call me to do the opposite, to set my mind on Him, in Heaven, to see things from His perspective!  He would call me to get outside of my own self, and minister in love and compassion, to help others, to exude kindness and allow compassion to enter my heart.  As bad as I think my situation is, there are many others in worse circumstances, and I can choose to bless them or help them, and turn my pitiful self-cries into praise and gratitude, and thankfulness for all the things I don't see when I focus on my present anxious situation.

Thank You Lord for Your blessings and Your encouragement today!

No comments:

Post a Comment