Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, February 25, 2019

A Square Foundation

This morning I was reading through John 14, one of my favorite chapters in all of scripture. I have meditated on several of the verses many times. but today I thought I would reflect on these two verses, which can be somewhat overlooked in the awesomeness of the rest of the chapter.  Here are the verses - John 14:23-24 NIV:

[23] "Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. [24] Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me."

Two things of note - first, the foundational base is loving relationship. In fact, Jesus states that if there isn't a loving relationship, there is no obedience.  One could almost say that if there was what seemed like obedience without relationship the same statement still applies.  In fact, Jesus speaks about that in a statement He makes in Matthew 7:21-23 NIV: “Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. [22] Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' [23] Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' "

Clearly, loving relationship, knowing and being known, is the first foundation for life with Christ.  It is once this relationship is established that the Lord then begins to help us hear and understand His will, even giving us the strength and faith to step out and obey.

Secondly, the words that Jesus are speaking are from the Father.  He is representing the Father, speaking for the Father.  These are not the words of a wise-man, or a great teacher, these are the Words of God the Father.  For this reason, I do like a red letter version of the Bible, because it helps us focus on Jesus' and through Him, the Father's words!  That really is an amazing reality - we have represented he in Scripture the very words of the Father, spoken through Jesus.  We don't have to wonder what He sounds like, what He says to sinners or to those that are rejected, we have a record here, in our Bibles.  We can get to know the Father through the revelation of the Jesus, His son.  Jesus doesn't just remind us of the Father, having some of the same mannerisms, having a similar look, or way of expressing Himself, He is the exact representation of the Father (Heb 1:3).

These may seem like very basic truths, but it is so important that we fully grasp these truths in our lives and hearts.  The foundation of a building determines how strong it will stand, and how long it will endure.  It is the basis for every other bit of building that is done on top of it.  IF the foundation is not true and square, then everything built above it will become more and more out of line and out of square.

Lord, help me to fully embrace and fully believe Your words!  Help me to get these right, and help me to build my life of obedience upon these truths!  I do love You and desire to do what you ask!  I welcome you!

No comments:

Post a Comment