Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Fan Into Flame!


This morning I felt like reading a bit from 2 Timothy 1:6-14 NIV:

[6] "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. [7] For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. [8] So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. [9] He has saved us and called us to a holy life---not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, [10] but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. [11] And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. [12] That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day."

[13] "What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. [14] Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you---guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us."

Lately, it seems the gift of God within me has been burning low, sometimes almost ember-ish.  This morning as I sat down to pray I felt the Lord encourage me to fan that which is in me into flame again!  I am not sure how to do that, but that is certainly my desire Lord!  I was reminded of these verses from Paul to Timothy, and decided they would be good verses to reflect upon this morning.

My first thought in reading them is that I need all three things Paul listed that the Holy Spirit gives us -  power, love and self-discipline!  These are gifts that I need, gifts that I have already received.   Somehow I have allowed them to sit on the shelf, unused or seldom visited.  Maybe all I need to do to begin fanning them into flames is a bit of dusting off and putting them back into action?

Yesterday, I felt encouraged to pray in the Spirit while at work, which I had not done for quite a while.  Its not that I haven't been praying, been doing that a lot lately as it is clear I am once again going through some transition in my job.  Its more of a welcoming the renewed awareness that Holy Spirit brings peace, wisdom, insight and perspective, and that by praying in the Spirit, I have ready access to all.  Thank You for the gentle reminder Lord.

Secondly, as I was reading these verses this morning, the end of verse 12 grabbed my attention.  Paul says of Jesus, "(I) am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day."   Paul doesn't mention specifically what he has entrusted to Jesus, but that day is clearly the day Paul receives his eternal reward by entering heaven.  My first thought upon reading this was that Paul had entrusted his whole life's work, even his reputation to Jesus.  I have no clear proof that this is what he meant, but in the previous couple of verses he was talking about how he was a prisoner, suffering and yet felt no shame.  That is a pretty strong statement, for what person when thinking about their life goals or aspirations, sees themselves in prison, suffering for doing right and following the one they are devoted to??  I think Paul had long ago laid down his personal aspirations and plans, and had embraced all the Lord had for him, regardless of the personal cost.  Talk about a heavenly mindset!

Thirdly, I am just encouraged by reading Paul's encouragement to Timothy.  Paul was wanting to see Timothy fulfill his own destiny in the Lord.  He wasn't berating him for his lack of fire, or his season of allowing his fire to become embers, but was instead encouraging Timothy to fan that which was in him back into flame.  My guess is that Paul had experienced many highs and lows in his personal faith walk since His encounter with the Lord on the way to Damascus. Paul writes about his sickness, his "thorn in his side" and in his second letter to the Corinthians, chapter 11, he lists many of the things he has suffered for His faith in Jesus.  Reading that list makes my body hurt!  Paul, knew suffering, knew pain, knew loneliness, knew waning hope and fear of death, knew what it was like to have plans changed, crushed and destroyed, knew the pain of personal loss, knew betrayal, knew discomfort!  In all of that I am sure he wondered on occasion, whether it was worth it all?  However, if those thoughts ever entered his mind, it appears that he always made his way back to the truth, and was strengthened in his resolve.  He knew well what it was like to have to fan back into flame his faith, and so was encouraging Timothy to do likewise.

Finally Paul makes a statement in his letter to the church at Ephesus, that sums this all up - Galatians 2:20 NIV:  "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."  Paul saw his life as exchanged with Christ Jesus.  He had died and now Christ lived in him.  What an incredible act of selflessness.  He gave up his life that Christ might live in and through Him.  His decision to follow Christ, was not a 15 minutes a day, or even 2 hours a day type of following, but rather a radical all-in decision!  Paul had laid his life down, that he might live for Christ alone.  He had entrusted all that could have been into the arms of Christ Jesus, knowing that He was faithful and true.  He wasn't worried about His reward, he just wanted to live fully for Jesus.

Oh Lord, help me to fan into a flame that which is in me!  Help me to lay down my life for You.  Help me to be strengthened in my resolve, in my love and in Your power.

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment