Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Do You Now Believe?


This morning I was reading some verses from John's Gospel, and while almost laughable, they were encouraging.  This exchange happened after the Last Supper, during Jesus' last discourse.  Here are the verses - John 16:25-33 NIV:

[25] “Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. [26] In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. [27] No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. [28] I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.” 

[29] Then Jesus' disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. [30] Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.” 

[31] “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. [32] “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. 

[33] “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

The bit that caught my attention was the response of the disciples, "this makes us believe that you came from God".  This is where their minds are after watching Jesus perform countless miracles and healings!!  They had been eye-witnesses to the single most effective ministry, they had Jesus tell them He was the Messiah, and finally after all of that, it was the fact that Jesus stopped using parables and was answering their questions directly without them even asking that made them believe that Jesus was from God!  Not the healing of the man born-blind, the casting out of demons, the  feeding of five thousand, the walking on water, the calming the storm, none of those seemed to be enough to make them believe that Jesus was really from God!!  

I can almost hear the sarcasm in Jesus' voice in verse 31.  

However, I don't believe Jesus was surprised nor angry, nor even sarcastic, for He continued on into John 17 and continued to bring revelation and tell them they were His friends!  

The encouragement to me in all of this is that Jesus truly understood their limitations, their unbelief, their struggle to believe His words and actions!  He knew how short their memory was!  He knew how they struggled to gain the right perspective!  He knew that they still didn't understand what was about to happen!  He knew that they would all abandon Him!  He knew that they would be shaken to the very core of their souls!  He knew they were weak!  He knew all of this because He became man, and dwelt among us, and understands us!  

In spite of their failures, their inability to understand and their own limited perspective and selfishness, He loved them!  He had chosen them.  He had plans for them!  He forgave them!  He entrusted the Kingdom to them! 

I am encouraged because He doesn't expect us to be perfect!  He doesn't expect us to walk out our life in perfect belief!  He doesn't expect us to never falter in our relationship with Him. 

Instead of rejecting us in our weakness, He loves us!  He calls us His friends!  He sends the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, to guide us, empower us and teach us!  

Thank You Lord, for choosing us, and loving us, regardless of our limitations!  You truly are not like us, and for that I am eternally grateful! Help us in our weakness and lack of understanding to advance Your Kingdom! 

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment