Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

He is Waiting & Running Towards Us


Verses for this morning - James 4:7-12 NIV:

[7] "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. [8] Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. [9] Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. [10] Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." 

[11] "Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. [12] There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you---who are you to judge your neighbor?"

In the past, when I have read these passages I have always separated the two of them, thinking that they essentially covered two separate topics, and one can certainly read them that way.  This morning I had the thought that the two first sentences in each paragraph were actually related, for clearly one of  the tactics of the enemy is to sow discord and division and some of his major tools in this are judgment and slander.  

It is amazing to me how quickly I can turn from praising the Lord to judging someone!  I can listen to a sermon and immediately criticize the speaker, and completely lose every good word that was just planted.  I can be like the soil that is the path, the seed never penetrates and is carried off by the birds of distraction. (See Matt. 13:19) Oh Lord, help me!

Just to be clear I am not always this way, but I have my moments, and any moments like that are not welcome. I want to be consistently submitted to God, looking to Him, not at others!  I want to press back against the distractions, the critical thoughts and judgments that flow into my mind unbidden.  I want to resist the enemy so much that he flees, hurried along by the wind of the Holy Spirit, as prayer and worship flows out of my mouth and heart.

I love the promise that when we come near to God, He will come near to us, and I have seen this over and over in my life. I am amazed at how faithful He is and remains.  The Lord is always responsive, always waiting and moving towards us.  He is the only one capable of judging anyone, and instead He greets us with open arms, grace, mercy and love!  When we come humbly to Him, He lifts us up!  I am reminded of the wonderful story Jesus told, and recorded in Luke 15.  Here are a few verses that recount the sons return, and the Father's response - Luke 15:20-23 NIV:

[20] "So he got up and went to his father. 

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. 

[21] “The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' 

[22] “But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. [23] Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate."

Oh what a loving Father we have!  Let us not hesitate a moment in turning towards Him, even in our darkest hour or state, for He is constantly vigilant, waiting and running towards us! 

Thank You Lord! 

No comments:

Post a Comment