Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, January 13, 2023

Loving the One


Lately I have been reflecting on loving the individual.  I felt like the Lord said I needed to re-evaluate my perspective about what is important in the Body of Christ.  In the same way that relationships are super important in the Kingdom, I felt like He wanted me to understand that what makes relationships important is the other person, and that the relationship can't be more important than the person. So, if relationships are super important, than the people we are relating to, are even more important in the Kingdom.

Many of us, as Christians, have probably heard the saying, "Jesus loves you so much, that if you were the only person alive He still would have died on the cross for you!"  We say that to try and capture some idea of the Lord's love and our value to Him, but do we really believe that saying?  By that I mean, do we love and value others, and ourselves as much?  Do we act like we actually believe in our importance to the Lord (in a good and not selfish way)?  Do we act like the others we interact with are highly valued and loved by the Lord?  Would we be willing to spend our life loving and caring for just one other person?  When we imagine our calling in life, our purpose in the Lord, could we imagine the whole of our life focused on loving, caring and valuing just one other person?  

Those are thoughts I have never had before recently, as I have always been of the belief that somehow my call was to bigger efforts, a larger number of people, in part by my interpretation of the scriptures the Lord has given me as promises and life verses.  With that focus, and not seeing that option available in my life, I sometimes wonder if I have somehow missed out, or somehow have not fulfilled His call and purpose for me.  I find I am often looking forward rather than at where I am right now.  While I love to love and care for my wife and our kids, and grandkids, I find I am still thinking about some unrealized ministry idea.  I guess at the heart of the matter I think a larger ministry calling is more valuable in the Kingdom.  As I have been reflecting on this, I have realized that my perspective does need adjusting.

I am reminded of several of the parables that Jesus told, e.g. the pearl or the buried treasure (Matt 13:44-45), leaving the 99 to find the one (Matt 18:12-13), the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32)! In each of these stories, there is an communication about the value of the individual, from a Kingdom perspective. 

Continuing in this vein, I am also reminded of some stories where Jesus clearly went out of His way to meet with one, e.g. the lady at the well (John 4:1-36), the man at the pool of Bethesda (John 5:1-15), and Zacchaeus (Luke 19:1-9) to name a few.  Jesus was apparently very capable of focusing on the one, and knew the value of each person!  In spite of the crush of crowds, the thousands that followed Him, Jesus had time for the one as each of these stories indicates.  His encounters radically changed peoples lives, as He spoke the words of healing and people saw healing physically, emotionally, spiritually, and relationally. 

This morning  felt led to read from the letter of James, and found some very similar themed verses.  Here are the verses I am reflecting on - James 2:1-5,8-10,12-18 NIV:

[1] "My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. [2] Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. [3] If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here's a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” [4] have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 

[5] Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 

[8] If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. [9] But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. [10] For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 

[12] Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, [13] because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment. [14] What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? [15] Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. [16] If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? [17] In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 

[18] But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

Breaking these verses down thematically, James is addressing how people are being treated, and he relates this to our faith/belief in action. I have often reflected on these verses from more of a faith/belief perspective, taking these ideas and applying them to more theological ideas, but this morning I am just considering them in the relational, loving another individual perspective.  If I really believe that the Lord loves and highly values each other person, I should never show favoritism, for by doing so I am treating some as being less valuable.  I am judging their worth...man that is ugly!  

Secondly, my actions are directly linked to my beliefs/faith.  How I treat others shows what I really believe!  Going back to my earlier comments, do we really believe that we are all highly valued by the Lord?  If we do, then our actions should reflect that belief, and should be visible.  Going back to Jesus, His actions spoke clearly about the importance of the individual.  In His short three years of ministry, He often stopped and addressed an individual, and loved them.  In the context of the value of His life, and the amount of time He had, the idea that He would stop and spend an hour or two for a single individual is absolutely incredible!  We know that Jesus only did what the Father told Him to do, and was a perfect representation of the Father, so His actions should communicate to us our value to the Father!  We are worth His time, His attention, His action!`

As fellow followers of Christ, we should have this same attitude in our dealings with one another.  We should express love and mercy and favor to all!  We should demonstrate the value of each individual by our attention, our care, and our time.  We are commanded to love one another as Christ loved us and that requires action, attention, conversation, and a willingness to put them first. This morning I am convinced of how far from this ideal I live, and of my need to change.

Lord, help me to think more like You!  Help me to value others like You value them!  Help me to embrace the life of love for my honey, family, and friends!  Help me to stay focused on the people that You love!  Help me to stop looking ahead, and start looking around and begin putting my belief into action!


No comments:

Post a Comment