Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, January 20, 2023

Love Like He Loves



I am again reflecting on Paul's statements from his letter to the Philippians 3:12-16 TPT:

[12] "I admit that I haven't yet acquired the absolute fullness that I'm pursuing, but I run with passion into his abundance so that I may reach the purpose that Jesus Christ has called me to fulfill and wants me to discover. [13] I don't depend on my own strength to accomplish this; however I do have one compelling focus: I forget all of the past as I fasten my heart to the future instead. [14] I run straight for the divine invitation of reaching the heavenly goal and gaining the victory-prize through the anointing of Jesus. [15] So let all who are fully mature have this same passion, and if anyone is not yet gripped by these desires, God will reveal it to them. [16] And let us all advance together to reach this victory-prize, following one path with one passion."

This morning I felt like there was a directive to not rest on what I have done in the past, but to continue to press into relationship with the Lord.  Relationships are not tasks, and things done in the past, while good memories, are not enough to maintain growth in a relationship.  This morning as I thought about Paul's statements I found myself reflecting on the many things I have done, but that is the whole point of Paul's message, that is in the past, and the Lord is in the present, and has plans for the future and that is where we need to continue to focus.  

The stuff of the ministry I am about may change, but my relationship today, and my path forward in pursuing to know Him more daily must never change or falter.  It is easy to get distracted by so many things, but the highest is found in Him.  A few verses earlier Paul wrote that he wants to know Christ, and that is His sole focus, not ministry, but knowledge of Him.

I am reminded of the new command Jesus gave at the last supper, that 'we should love one another as He loved us!' (see John 13:34).  The interesting bit is that His qualifier in love is that we should love others as He loves us!  If we don't press into relationship with Him, how are we to love others in the same way?  We would only have a limited experience and knowledge of what His love is like!  I think that maybe we see around us the effect of many not really knowing the love of Christ, knowing His intimate love, and thus not able to love others in that way!

Oh Lord, help me to know You, to know Your love, that I might better represent You in my love of others!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment