Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Master of Times and Seasons


Yesterday I spent the morning reading through Daniel 9:20-27 and looking at different commentaries discussing the seventy sevens and how that all played out.  What is amazing is how the prophecy by Gabriel, given 500+ years ahead of time, was accurate, and foretelling.  The prophetic timeline laid out actually didn't start until 80 or so years after Daniel received the prophecy, so not only was the prophecy correct, but the starting event was more than 3 generations later.  (For more on this please see: https://enduringword.com/bible-commentary/daniel-9/)  My reflections of late have often been seeing some of this long-term perspective the Lord has and how His plans unfold over centuries and millennium.  As humans we think we are so smart and yet our prediction about just about anything are always flawed, and yet the Lord's plans are timely and perfect. 

I think for me this new year is more about trusting the Lord's plan, trusting His Word.  Last year was a year of change, a year of the beginning fulfilment of a promise the Lord had spoken 7 years earlier, and yet I have no idea what the year 2023 will hold for me and my family.  I know the Lord sees it all clearly and has been at work in the background, sometimes for centuries and millenniums, bringing certain individuals, certain situations to fruition, at just the right time, in the just the right place.  Oh Lord, it would be grand to get a preview so that I can be better prepared, but at the same time, I need to trust that You will have shepherded me perfectly, and I will be ready at the right time, and I will be at the right place, with the right skills and perspective.   Help me to look to You, rather than to my own understanding.

I was just reminded of a couple of verses as I wrote that last sentence - Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; [6] in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

These verses sound so simple, and yet, when I try to do so, I so often run into my own perspective, my own opinion, my own plans or understanding of how I think the Lord is working, or going to work, or wanting to work in my life!  I am trying my best, but severely handicapped in my limited perspective.  What I mean is that I barely know why I do what I do, and certainly don't really know the deep thoughts or experiences of those around me, or what they are thinking or what they are planning or what they will do!  My perspective on the overall world is at best super-microscopic. 

In addition, in the world today we are seeing the active rewriting of history, the covering over of experiences, the changing of data to meet certain agendas and viewpoints that are being foisted upon us.  What I love about the Lord is He is not affected by any of this fallacy and twisting of facts and viewpoints.  His perspective is 100% accurate and true.  He sees from outside of time and sees everything.  We would be wise to look to Him!

I am reminded of another couple of verses - Proverbs 19:21 NIV:  "Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

- and - 

Matthew 11:25-30 NIV:

[25] "At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. [26] Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do. 

[27] “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 

[28] “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

I have often turned to these verses, especially the last three in times of confusion, struggle or stress.  I need to remind myself that the Lord has all things under His control, and my leaning into Him allows me to rest, and unburden myself.  

I pray for greater revelation of the Father, greater peace and rest, and the willingness to allow the Lord to speak His plans into our lives!  He is the Master of times and seasons, and all things.

May the Lord bless Your 2023!

No comments:

Post a Comment