Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Keys of the Kingdom

Yesterday I was reading in Matt 16:13-20.  Verse 19 reads, "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”


Here Jesus is clearly talking about imparting of authority within His Kingdom. He gave this authority to His disciples, and we are included.  A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the calling cards of the Kingdom, I guess you can add the keys to that list of things the Lord gives us as evidence of our authority and inclusion in the kingdom.


This is not some honorary key to the city that you sometimes hear, but it is real authority that extends on earth, and includes heaven.  There are many commentaries about what the last statement really means.  I'm not really worried about the exact meaning as I think the message is clear enough - we have real authority in His Kingdom - and His Kingdom extends over Earth and Heaven.


So, just like the first time our father or mother gave us the keys to the car, their expectation was that we would put those keys to use, and drive the car.  In the same way Jesus expects that we will put the keys of the kingdom to use and walk in His authority.


Lord, help us to fully understand and embrace this great truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment