Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Last Shall be First

This morning I was reading through Matt 20:1-16 which is the parable of the workers in the Vineyard.  While reading this parable, I was struck by how effective this particular story is in grabbing my attention.  I found myself thinking much like the early workers in the vineyard, that for the last hired to be paid the same as them was unfair.  I could almost imagine the people around Jesus listening to the story, and feeling the same way, only to have Jesus turn the tables and teach them such an important truth about His Father and the coming reality of salvation, redemption, and selection.


It was a great reminder to me that everything I have in Christ is because of the love, generosity and sacrifice of Jesus and the Father.  My relationship with them, my salvation, the forgiveness of my sins is all because of what the God did.  None of this is attributable to me, or my actions.  The only thing I have done is recognize my need for Him, and respond to His invitation.  


I think that those of us who have walked with and served God for many years can sometimes develop a mentality that we have earned some type of recognition, or reward for our faithful service.  We can even become jealous of those that are newly come into the Kingdom, especially if the Lord is blessings them and we are struggling. 


Thank You Lord for reminding me that everything of real value in my life is from You, and that my eyes should be on You, not on me.  You are so good to freely offer the same to anyone who comes to You.  You don't require years of service, self denial or the likes.  Anyone, whatever their situation or past can come to You and receive salvation, the forgiveness of their sins and relationship with you, even Eternal Life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment