Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Less of Me, More of You

In my continued path through Matthews Gospel, I recently read the story of the Epileptic child that the disciples could not cure (Matt 17:14-21).  Jesus last comment in verse 21 was a revealing statement about the difference between the disciples and Jesus.  I have quoted here from the New King James Version : "However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."

Normally I quickly pass over this statement, believing that I understand what it means, but today I saw it differently.  As I was reading this and thinking it through I remembered John the Baptist's statement in John 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease." (NKJV).

Normally I wouldn't put these two verses together, but as I thought about it, I was convinced they are really saying similar things.  Fasting is a way for us to be less concerned about ourselves and focus on God, and prayer is communication and intimacy with God.  Thus, fasting and prayer could be translated less focus on me, and more focus on God.

In this story, Jesus clearly shows that His level of intimacy with the Father and emptiness of His own will is much beyond what the disciples have attained.  This enables Him to minister with a level of authority that they could not.  

Lord, help us to embrace this truth - less of us and more of You is what we need!

No comments:

Post a Comment