Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Remaining in Him

This morning I was reading through John 15.  I spent some time meditating on verse 5, which reads, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."  The message is so simple and clear.  Its in and through relationship with Christ alone that we are able to bear fruit that lasts.


Reading the verse again, I was aware of the fact that there are two requirements:  1) If a man remains in me; 2) and I (remain) in him.   


The first one, I think, relates to our focus, thoughts and actions.  Are we connected to Him?  Are we thinking the way He thinks?  Is our heart in line with His?  Are we working to be living examples of His Word to those around us?  Are we conscious of being His witness and representative?  As Paul writes in Col 3:2, "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."  We need to remain in this place of connectedness and thoughtfulness throughout the day.


The second requirement, I think, has more to do with our sin.  Isaiah 59:2 states, "But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear."  We know that God does not abandon us, but our relationship is clearly affected by our sin.  Our sinful nature leads in ways that are contrary to God (Gal 5:17), the more we sin, the more we are affected.  


If you are like me, you struggle with both of these from time to time, or even often.  I am probably more inclined to fail the first requirement, as I quickly lose my focus on Christ as I start my work day.  Clearly the more I am disconnected, the easier it is for me to fail the second requirement, as I become out of sight and out of mind from Christ.  Apart from Him, I clearly can do no good thing.


Lord, You desire me to be connected to You and bear much fruit.  I know that You will help me to achieve your purpose and plan for me.  Help me to maintain my focus and thoughts of You throughout the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment