Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Bridge to Heaven

This morning I was reading out of Psalm 57:

(NIV)Psalm 57:7-11
My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music. [8] Awake, my soul! Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn. [9] I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. [10] For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies. [11] Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.

Two things I like about those few verses from Psalm 57: First the idea of a steadfast heart. It seems that keeping my heart steady and holding fast to my love for God is a difficult thing. There are so many competing things in all our lives, its difficult to remain single focused, and constant. But what a great prayer to pray, that my heart might be steadfast in my affection for God.

Secondly, the picture of God's love and faithfulness extending to the heavens and skies. Earlier in the Psalm (verse 3) it says that God sends His Love and Faithfulness to earth, when He saves us. So we have a picture of Love and faithfulness coming down from heaven, and reaching from the earth back up to the heavens. In my mind I see a connection, almost a bridge of the Love and Faithfulness of God from heaven to earth and all of us.

Clearly this bridge is Jesus, the Love and faithfulness of God incarnate. He, because of His love for us, came down from Heaven (verse 3), saved us from our enemy, and established forever a relationship with the Father. This is not some mythical bridge that exists, like in the movie Thor, but a very real and eternal connection, established through Jesus' sacrifice. Lord, help me to experience the reality of this relationship, this connection with You more and more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment