Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, August 3, 2012

Our Foolish Ways

Continuing my thoughts from yesterday, this verse seems to fit well:

(NIV)Proverbs 28:26
Those who trust in themselves are fools, but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe.

Its interesting the Hebrew word translated here as fools, can also be translated as arrogant ones. There is so much truth here, that in our thinking we have the answers, that we know enough about what's happening all around us, that we somehow can grasp all that and make right decisions is foolish and at the same time supremely arrogant.

I like this translation - (NASB)Proverbs 28:26 He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But he who walks wisely will be delivered.

The previous translation says 'themselves' here its translated as 'his own heart' which appears closer to the meaning of the Hebrew. The Hebrew word is Leb which translates as follows:

1. inner man, mind, will, heart, understanding
a. inner part, midst
1. midst (of things)
2. heart (of man)
3. soul, heart (of man)
4. mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory
5. inclination, resolution, determination (of will)
6. conscience
7. heart (of moral character)
8. as seat of appetites
9. as seat of emotions and passions

In other words pretty much all of who we are internally, our thoughts, emotions, conscience, etc.

The second sentence of this verse, points us to the right answer - seeking wisdom externally, from one who can save, redeem and deliver us. We must turn to someone who is greater, with clearer vision, with more understanding, with purer judgement, for our own perspective and understanding is limited. It is in recognizing our need for a different perspective, that opens us up and allows wisdom to be shown, and deliverance to be realized. The Greek word used here is Sozo - meaning saved, body mind and spirit, and healed (quick translation)!

Lod, help me to recognize my need for You, seeing my own inability to fully grasp all and win my own deliverance. I confess my own limitations and lack, and choose to walk in Your wisdom, in Your presence, in relationship with You

No comments:

Post a Comment