Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, August 24, 2012

Living in Right Relationship

This morning I have been reading out of Romans 8, and meditating on my relwtioship with the Father.

(NIV)Romans 8:9-16
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. [10] But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. [11] And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. [12] Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation---but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. [13] For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. [14] For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. [15] The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” [16] The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

Lord, I am claiming the promise and reality of verse 11, that You Holy Spirit are living in me, and that You will bring life to this mortal body. Lord, I desire to live in the fullness of this. I want to be led by You Holy Spirit, I want to receive Life from You. I want to live in a constant state of awareness of my spirit giving witness to my sonship.

Prior to reading these verse I was thinking about my desire to be an ordinary guy, who does extraordinary things for the Lord. Clearly there is nothing special about me, I am just a husband and a dad, not great at either, a brother, an employee, a neighbor, and a friend and like most men. Yet, I have been chosen by the Lord to be in relationship with Him, and its in this single fact that I have any real significance outside my small little sphere of relationships.

I am a son of the Most High, by His choosing, adopted into full sonship. That is an amazing thought! How can I live a normal life by earthly standards if this is the case?

My own perspective of my life is so out of whack with this reality. I normally come to the Lord, with a wondering, hoping, but not confident attitude. I hope that He might take notice of me, and possibly look with favor on me, and maybe just this once answer my prayer.

That is completely wrong if the previously stated relationship is true. I have been chosen by God, and loved so much that He has adopted me, and given me full rights in His family. Lord, I desire to be led by You into the fullness of this truth, in my life.

Lord, that we all might grasp this reality and live within Your means - not ours. Lord, wash me clean of my old mind-set and cement in my consciousness this new identity, that I might live like I truly am Your adopted child.

No comments:

Post a Comment