Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Returning to the Lord

This morning I was reading out of the Letter of James and reminded of the mercy available to us all.


(NIV)James 4:4-10
You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. [5] Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us ? [6] But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”

[7] Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. [8] Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. [9] Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. [10] Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

(NIV)Isaiah 55:6-7
"Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near. [7] Let the wicked forsake their ways and the unrighteous their thoughts. Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will freely pardon."

As I was just thinking about the stain of the world, I thought its probably more like mold, a tiny spore of which comes and settles on one piece of bread, and in the right atmosphere starts to reproduce, generally starting on the outside and working its way inside, until it ruins the whole piece. In the same way, a small bit of compromise, or desire for something outside of God's will can result in death in our spirits. James says it this way: (NIV)James 1:14-15..."but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. [15] Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death."

Lord, help me to look at my life and clear away anything that is not of You. I desire to come near to You. I thank You for Your forgiveness and mercy and invitation to return to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment