Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Words and Meditations

(NIV)Psalm 19:12-14
"But who can discern their own errors? Forgive my hidden faults. [13] Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression. [14] May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."


I was reading through Psalm 19 this morning and was meditating on verse 14. However, verse 14 really needs to be understood in the light of the prayer David had prayed in verses 12 and 13. I really like his prayer in verse 12, recognizing that there are things in him that he isn't even aware of that might be sinful, might be faults in the Lord's eyes. I think this is true of all of us. The more we pursue God, the closer we get to Him, the more we see our selves and recognize our faults. This is not bad, but rather something we should be grateful for, as we are becoming like him. In my reading of the saints of old, this is a very common theme. Here are some of the holiest, most Christlike people on the earth, and they still see that compared to God, they are sinful people. I don't think of this as a negative introspective perspective, rather as a sober recognition of our need for God. We will never, on this side of heaven, achieve the perfection of Jesus, but we should never stop pursuing Him and allowing ourselves to be changed into His likeness.


In verse 13, David is praying against the sin of pride. The Hebrew word here translated willful, is actually better translated arrogant, proud, insolent, or presumptuous, all of which speak of a prideful heart attitude. His prayer to be kept from these types of sin, and specifically that they might not rule over him or have control of him is so important. He is basically praying that he would not become self reliant and convinced of his own abilities to deliver himself. He recognizes his own proclivity toward pride, and sees how this could wreck his life and lead him into serious sin (I am thinking Bathsheba here) and is asking for God's help. Again, a very revealing prayer, and so true. I know I certainly tend to believe in my own abilities, and can forget to turn to God for direction and guidance.


Finally, David is laying his thoughts and words before the Lord. That is one scary step - to ask the Lord to view our thoughts and words, to see if they are pleasing to Him. Of course this prayer follows the other two verses, which is not as scary, as David has been praying in humility and transparency. Still a very good prayer to keep before ourselves throughout the day - are my words and thoughts pleasing to God?


Finally, the recognition of his need for a Rock, and Redeemer. God is both - one who is always present and never changing, and one who will intervene on our behalf and rescue us. In Jesus, we have both! He lives forever, seated at the right hand of the Father, interceedng on our behalf!


(NIV)Romans 8:34
Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died---more than that, who was raised to life---is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.


Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment