Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Praying For Our Enemies


Continuing the theme from yesterday, dealing with attacks and enemies.

Psalm 17:14 NIV
By your hand save me from such people, Lord, from those of this world whose reward is in this life. May what you have stored up for the wicked fill their bellies; may their children gorge themselves on it, and may there be leftovers for their little ones.

I was thinking about this verse and how I would likely understand this as God bringing punishment upon these people, and I think maybe David, in writing this, had some thought along those lines. However, when we look at the perfect example Jesus presented of the Father's heart, we don't see this type of heart. Jesus, when He was beaten, bruised and crucified, prayed for those that did that to Him.

I am reminded of Jonah, who was angry that God relented in His judgement against Ninevah, because the people repented after Jonah warned them. Jonah 4:1-2 NIV: "But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. [2] He prayed to the Lord, “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity.". We think that God should punish bad people, but God's heart is too bless and forgive.

I was listening to Graham Cooke and he described how the Lord had him give money anonymously to one of the ministers who was personally attacking Graham on a weekly basis. On top of the giving money, the Lord asked Graham to pray blessing over this man that was attacking him. What a radical departure from our normal way of dealing with our enemies.

So in following this line of thinking, as I pray Psalm 17:14, I will be asking God to pour forth what He has stored for those who attack me - blessings, love, forgiveness and mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment