Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, March 16, 2013

When Under Attack

Psalm 54:1-2, 4 NIV
[1] "Save me , O God, by your name; vindicate me by your might. [2] Hear my prayer, O God; listen to the words of my mouth. [4] Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me."

This morning I opened my Bible to Psalm 54, which David wrote while being pursued by Saul, and was experiencing a betrayal by the Ziphites, who he thought would shelter him. Although some of the rest of the Psalm is focused on David's prayers against those who are attacking him, I am focused on his reliance on God. He recognized that his only real help was in God. By depending on God, he would be saved and vindicated.

Interestingly, both times after the Ziphites betrayed David to Saul, David was given the opportunity to slay Saul, the first time in the cave, the second time in Saul's tent while he slept. ( 1 Sam 23:19 - Chapter 24 & 1 Sam 26 ). However, David, understanding that God would vindicate him and fight for him, did not raise his hand against Saul. This is such a hard thing to do, but especially important when the ones who are attacking are friends or brothers or sisters. David recognized that it was not his place to judge and convict, but God's. Jesus calls us to love our enemies, to pray for those who persecute us (Matt 5:44) and David's example here is quite instructional.

Lord help me to look to You and trust You to sustain me and vindicate me when I am following Your will and being judged or misunderstood because of that.

Amen Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment