Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, May 17, 2013

Choked vs. Fruitfulness


This morning I opened my Bible to Mark 4:13-20 NIV:

[13] "Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable? [14] The farmer sows the word. [15] Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. [16] Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy. [17] But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. [18] Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; [19] but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. [20] Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop---some thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times what was sown.”

This morning I am aware of how often I am like the seed sown among thorns. The issue for this seed is not that it doesn't find root and grow, but that its unfruitful. The stalk of grain grows to maturity, but has almost no fruit to show for it. I think about how many things I am distracted by in my life, and my life is relatively simple, that cause my focus on the Lord to stray.

Jesus said these things 'choke the word', and I think that is a very appropriate image. A plant is choked , or stunted, by lack of light, or lack of water. The light is God's word and presence in our lives. The water is the ministry and power of the Holy Spirit. When I get distracted by other things, I spend less time in His word, and am less aware of the moving of the Spirit in my life. We can't expect that we will be fruitful if we are not being fed and watered constantly.

Looking at my yard, I am amazed at how quickly the ground dries and cracks, when I know that just a few days ago there was rain. I think my spirit is similar, in that it doesn't take very long for me to feel dry and parched, just a few days.

Lord, I want to be like the seed sown in good soil, plenty of sun, plenty of rain, and bearing much fruit. Help me to stay focused and keep pouring Your light and water into my life! I don't want to be choked, stunted or distracted. Help me to recognize those things in my life that are causing me to be choked or stunted, and help me to get rid of them so that I can bear much fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment