Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, May 3, 2013

God Reigns Over All


This morning I felt led to read from Daniel 7:9-10, 13-18 NIV:
[9] “As I looked, “thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze. [10] A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him. Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened.

[13] “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. [14] He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

[15] “I, Daniel, was troubled in spirit, and the visions that passed through my mind disturbed me. [16] I approached one of those standing there and asked him the meaning of all this. “So he told me and gave me the interpretation of these things: [17] ‘The four great beasts are four kings that will rise from the earth. [18] But the holy people of the Most High will receive the kingdom and will possess it forever---yes, for ever and ever.’

I love the Book of Daniel. I guess I love any book in the Old Testament that provides a good prophetic view of Jesus. Daniel, along with Isaiah, are two of my favorites. Daniel was written around 600BC. He effectively and accurately prophesied about reveal of the kingdom changes that would affect that world, the times of the Persian, Greek, and Roman domination. More importantly he also accurately prophesied about the coming of the 'Son of Man' who was given all authority and power - clearly looking forward to Jesus.

To put this in perspective, 600 years earlier than now would be 1513. Spain was a power, all Europe was ruled by Kings, America had just been discovered a few years earlier, England and Scotland were fighting each other, etc. Daniel's prophecy named the next four major powers and changes in authority, even the number of days each would stay in power, and the number of kings. Imagine having been given a prophetic picture in 1513 that would accurately foretell the major changes in power coming upon Europe. That is effectively what Daniel did, and his culminating vision was the coming of Jesus, which occurred 600 years later.

Also, not to be forgotten, is his vision of the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God is, and will always be victorious over the kingdoms of the earth. Jesus does reign in power and His Kingdom is established, and we (the holy people - made so by Jesus' sacrifice) will possess the Kingdom with Him (see above verse 18). It is good to be reminded that God does reign and He has been controlling the destiny of the world forever, and continues to control its destiny. He causes nations to rise and fall, kingdoms to be established and torn down, and through all of that He reigns supreme! All nations will worship Him, all peoples will bend their knee, He has all authority, glory and sovereignty. God reigns over all!

Its good to reminded of this on snowy days in May, when things seem all mixed up. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment