Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Reality Check


This morning I am reading from Psalm 73:1-3, 16-18, 23-26 NIV:

[1] "Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. [2] But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. [3] For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked."

[16] "When I tried to understand all this, it troubled me deeply [17] till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny. [18] Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin."

[23] "Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. [24] You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. [25] Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. [26] My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever".

This psalm is always such a good reminder of the eternal reality that exists. There are may times in my life when I have wondered if following the Lord is worth the effort, worth the struggle, and ultimately fulfilling. I look around at people with newer cars, nicer houses, seemingly better lives, and I think to myself that somehow I am missing out.

I remember it the first time I read this psalm. It was early in my walk with the Lord, and I was feeling particularly sorry for myself, thinking I should just chuck all this Christianity stuff and be like everyone else. I was reading through my Bible and read this verse, and immediately saw the fallacy of my thoughts. The eternal reality, as well as the life of blessing, and intimacy with the Lord, was much better than the alternative, I was just being blinded by my greed and desire.

Lord, thank You for Your blessing, love, life, faithfulness, mercy, compassion, provision, and guidance. Life with You is so much better than the alternative! Ultimately we inherit eternal life with You, which is far better than the other eternal reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment