Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, May 13, 2013

Revelation of the Father


This morning I was reading from Luke 10:21-24 NIV:
[21] "At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do. [22] “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” [23] Then he turned to his disciples and said privately, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. [24] For I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.”

My heart is focused on the end of verse 22, speaking about knowing the Father. One of my favorite authors, Bill Johnson, says that the primary purpose Jesus came to earth was to reveal the Father, and that is exactly what Jesus is speaking about here. He came to reveal what the Father is like, and men ( even Kings and Prophets) have sought this type of understanding for centuries before His arrival. What is amazing to me is how many people still do not know what the Father is like, when we have Jesus' example available for us to reflect on and learn from.

I know in my life I am often apt to take on someone's ( a friend or trusted acquaintance) opinion on somebody else, especially if it concerns a person I don't know. If they have an opinion of a person, I will often embrace that opinion, without ever knowing or trying to know that person. I have found that often times, I have a very different experience when I get to know someone personally, and often really like someone that friend doesn't like. My point being that its only in our direct experience that we can really get to know someone, and so often we let others, besides Jesus tell us what the Father is like. We must pursue understanding the Father ourselves, through the revelation of Jesus - for He and the Father are one.

That is why 'religion' is so troubling, for people come to think of the Father as the enforcer of rules, or code of conduct, and miss the fact that He is a loving, personable, merciful and giving Father. That is also why our witness is so critical, for others will look to us and make judgements about the Father and Jesus based on how we, as Christians, act and respond.

Lord, help me to know You more, and really understand You, so that I might faithfully represent You to those around me. Help me to meditate on the revelation of the Father in Jesus' life, and help me to choose to become like You!

No comments:

Post a Comment