Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, May 31, 2013

Rags to Riches


I read several different areas of the bible this morning, none of which really resonated with my spirit. Finally I turned to Paul's letter to Titus and saw these verses:

Titus 3:3-8 NIV

[3] "At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. [4] But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, [5] he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, [6] whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, [7] so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. [8] This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone."

It is so good to be reminded of the mercy of God in my own life. For the reality is that I have been saved out of my former way of life and thinking, and set free by His mercy. It was His kindness and love that drew me to Him. He did wash me and cleanse me of my sins, and filled me with His life through the Holy Spirit. I have been justified by His grace, not through anything I have done, but rather through the application of His righteousness to my life. I have become an heir, through His invitation, which means I have access to the inheritance, the fortune of my Father.

What an awesome reality - we are saved from slavery and deep darkness, and invited into relationship and even become heirs! This is the stuff they write books about, make into movies, and we all share this experience. As Christians, we all have a 'rags to riches' story. 

Our lives, as Christians, are not meant to be drab and boring lives of passionless obedience. Rather we are called to live our lives full of gratitude, sharing the joy and love we experience, the wealth of our Father, and drawing others into the family, the Body of Christ. We are called to be lights in the darkness, full of hope and shining with God's glory.

Amen Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment