Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Living As A Child Of God - YES!


This morning I opened my Bible to Paul's letter to the Romans and started reading from Chapter 8. The following verses are worth a slow and meditative read:
Romans 8:9-17 NIV:

[9] "You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. [10] But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. [11] And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you."

[12] "Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation---but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. [13] For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. [14] For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. [15] The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” [16] The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. [17] Now if we are children, then we are heirs---heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

There is so much good stuff in these verses, its hard to know where to start. His very first statement is worthy of constant reminder, even refrigerator posting. We ARE in the realm of the Spirit, because the Spirit of God lives in us. The original Greek, does not use the word realm, but I think it is very helpful in understanding this reality. To be members of a realm speaks of a Kingdom, and a set of rules and authority in power, and Paul is definitely speaking abut those things here. Again, we ARE in the Kingdom of the Holy Spirit, we are under His rule and reign, if we belong to Christ. Because we are under His rule and reign, we receive those things that He has the power and authority to provide, namely life to our mortal bodies.

The Greek word translated 'life' is Zoopoieo which is pronounced - dzo-op-oy-eh'-o

Definition
1. to produce alive, begat or bear living young
2. to cause to live, make alive, give life
a. by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate
b. to restore to life
c. to give increase of life: thus of physical life
d. of the spirit, quickening as respects the spirit, endued with new and greater powers of life

I think the second definition makes the most sense here, and Paul probably meant that we receive all that through the Holy Spirit - that we are made alive, we are invigorated, we are restored, we see an increase of life, and we receive new and greater powers.

It is because of this new life in us that we have an obligation to live according to the rules of the realm, and when we do, we step into our true identity as sons and daughters of God. We are His children, and He is a good Father. We are set free from fear, for that is what slaves feel toward their masters, but instead we have a loving merciful Father who has breathed His life into us, and called us His own. I can almost see Him bending over me, leaning His face down to me and breathing the words "my son" over me. That is who I am, and that is who you are - a son or daughter of God. Paul says we have an obligation to live that way and that is true, but I say why would we want to live any other way? I think of it more as an opportunity, as is - 'you mean we actually get to live as a son or daughter of God, as His children?' That is the most awesome opportunity I have ever heard of, why would I want to live any other way?

YES and Amen Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment