Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, February 14, 2014

Mercy and Compassion, Our Calling Cards


I am continuing in my mercy over judgment theme with the Lord, as this morning I felt led to read out of the minor prophet Zecharaiah, which is not one of my usual growing selections. Specifically I felt directed to chapter 7, and saw the following verses - Zechariah 7:8-10 NIV:

[8] "And the word of the Lord came again to Zechariah: [9] “This is what the Lord Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. [10] Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other.’

It is interesting that the Lord combines true justice, which could be translated right judgment, with mercy and compassion. Sometimes we can read James 2:13 as if they are opposing, for mercy triumphs over judgment, but that is not the case at all. Mercy and judgment are both found within the Lord, and are significant characteristics of Him. Mercy and Judgment are not opposing, but rather two approaches.

The Lord is addressing the leaders of the people of Bethel here, and at that time Israel had been reestablished, and the leaders were responsible for both the religious and social leadership of the people. The Lord was reminding them of their duty to correctly judge the people according to the law, and to represent Him in doing so. Nothing causes issues with belief like unethical and wrong behavior amongst the religious leaders - and the Lord was putting His finger on one of the causes of the people's falling away from Him.

His call to continue to show mercy and compassion to one another, is calling them back to one of the most significant differentiating characteristics of God and His people. God chooses to revel Himself, first and foremost as a merciful and compassionate God. When God was describing Himself to Moses, before He actually showed His Glory to him, this is what He said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." Ex 33:19. Although judgment is also one of God's characteristics, He chooses to lead with mercy and compassion. As His followers, His people Israel were called to do the same. Mercy and Compassion are meant to be the calling cards of God's people.

Finally, the Lord calls for fair treatment of those without covering, protection or social standing, the widows, the fatherless, poor and foreigner. He calls for fair and right judgment, mercy and compassion, and kindness towards those that are easy to take advantage of because they have no strong voice or support. You can tell much about the true character of people by the way they treat those who are helpless, and again the Lord is reminding them of His previous words to them.

I am reminded of some similar verses in Isaiah where the Lord was also discussing fasting, for that was the original question posed the the Lord through Zechariah, in the verses above. Here is an excerpt from Isaiah 58:

Isaiah 58:6-7 NIV
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? [7] Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter---when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

So for me, I see a call from the Lord to merciful and compassionate, first and foremost. These should be my calling cards, the very first things that people experience. I must treat those who are helpless with the same care and concern I would anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment