Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Spiritual Pride and Judgment


This morning I felt like reading from Jonah:

Jonah 3:10 NIV:

'When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened."

Jonah 4:1-5 NIV

"But to Jonah this seemed very wrong, and he became angry. [2] He prayed to the Lord, “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. [3] Now, Lord, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.”

[4] But the Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry?”

[5] Jonah had gone out and sat down at a place east of the city. There he made himself a shelter, sat in its shade and waited to see what would happen to the city.

This past Sunday we were talking about how mercy triumphs over judgment, and this story is a great example of that principle. Although God could judge the people of Ninevah, He chose instead to warn them, to send to them a prophet that they might change their heart, so that He could show mercy. I love Jonah's statement about how he knew God was gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and that He would relent of sending judgment. That is who God chooses to reveal himself as, one who loves mercy and compassion more than judgement. It is so amazing that so many people see Him as an angry God, waiting to punish us for our sins.

I was also thinking about Jonah's response of wanting to see God judge the Ninevites. It seems a similar attitude exists today, those calling out for judgment upon sinful people or nations. Its as if they desire to see judgment to validate what they have been saying, and this would prove their own position as righteous individuals. This is the heart of spiritual pride, the belief that they are better than others, and God through His judgment will prove it. It is a sick and twisted understanding of God - thankfully that is not at all what Jesus was like! He set the record straight on so many occasions, where He was confronted by sinful people, and in every instance He chose mercy over judgment, compassion over punishment. Really the only people He had harsh words for were the spiritually prideful, those that thought they were better, or more righteous than everyone else.

I am reminded of a few verses from James 2:12-13 NIV:

[12] "Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, [13] because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment."

I know that I want God to treat me with mercy, not judgment, and the key to experiencing this is to be merciful myself. Lord, help me to represent Your heart of mercy, compassion, and abounding love to all that I meet, that I might experience the same from You.

No comments:

Post a Comment