Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wisdom From Heaven


As I read the third chapter of James' letter, I am drawn to the final two verses of this chapter - James 3:17-18 NIV:

[17] "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. [18] Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness."

I think these verses are such a good litmus-test for our thinking. If our thoughts do not fit into the list above, although its clearly not exhaustive, then we need to examine the source of the thoughts. Noticeably, judgment and critique are not on this list. I was examining judgment and mercy yesterday, and in our hearts and minds the two often have different sources, judgment coming out of spiritual pride or a religious spirit, while mercy comes from heaven.

If I look at the list, one word at a time, it is really a thing of beauty to consider. Purity of thought, describes an untainted, chaste and wholly clean line of thinking, in which there is no corruption or even a hint of immorality. The Greek word that is translated pure, can also mean sacred, holy and without blemish.

The second description is peace-loving, which in mind means that this is the nature one naturally moves toward. There is no desire for contention, no thriving on disagreement, or unrest, but at the very core, a desire for peace, joy and rest. This also speaks to me of an internal satisfaction.

The third term is considerate, and I think this characteristic is becoming rarer and rarer in our society today. To actually consider others needs before our own, to stop and notice (consider) others, is uncommon. The NASB translates the original Greek here as gentle, which is more accurate, but I like the word considerate, because it is outward focused, rather than inward focused. To treat others with gentleness and consideration is a beautiful thing.

The next word is submissive, and that probably rubs us the wrong way because of the abuses and misunderstanding of this term as it relates to husbands and wives, and will in general. The Greek word here is Eupeithes, and it means easily obey or comply. This is wisdom that comes from Heaven, so it is speaking of our attitude towards the Lord, not others, and I know my desire is to be easily and readily obedient to that which the Lord asks of me. This is in contrast to my own self-will that only wants to do what I want.

The next phrase is full of mercy and good fruit. We are called to act not intend, to extend mercy not judgement, and that wisdom which comes down from Heaven, inspires this in us. Oh that more of us would live this out in our lives.

The last two characteristics translated as impartial and sincere in the NIV, are translated unwavering and without hypocrisy in the NASB. Impartiality means without a strong leaning one way or the other, but unwavering speaks of a knowledge of the truth and an unwillingness to accept anything less. This is closer to the meaning of the original Greek. As for the term hypocrisy, we don't like to use that word anymore, for it seems contentious. Sincerity is an agreeable term, and speaks of a purity of intention and alignment of action and belief. Hypocrisy comes from the Greek word for an actor, one who is putting on an act. So if we look at these two phrases, wisdom that comes from Heaven will impart to us truth, that we can hold onto, believe in, and act upon. It won't bring confusion, doubt or an unsettled mind or spirit.

I pray that I will experience this heavenly wisdom, and recognize it in my own life, following the beautiful path You are leading me down daily. I pray that You will help us all to recognize that which comes from You and grasp hold of it with our whole heart, and reject the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment