Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Up On The Mountain


So this morning I was reading several places in scripture, and I finally found myself in Matt 17, which starts with Jesus' transfiguration on the mountain. As I was reading the story, a question popped into my head, why Moses and Elijah? And what were they talking about?

Here are the verses - Matthew 17:1-3 NIV:
[1] "After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. [2] There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. [3] Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus."

My first thought was that they were there because the Lord was about to fulfill the Law, and he as explaining it to Moses, but that wouldn't explain Elijah. Then I thought it was because Elijah had been prophesied to return (Mal 4:5-6), but that didn't explain Moses, since he wasn't prophesied to return, at least not that I am aware. So I decided to read from 1 Kings 17 the story of Elijah, and it was when I got to 1 Kings 19 that I had an idea of why Moses and Elijah met Jesus on the top of the mountain - it was because they had met God there before! Of all the people of the old testament, only two that I know of had the Lord pass them by on a mountain top, Moses and Elijah - (Exodus 33:18-23 & 1 Kings 19:11-13).

Some commentators speak of them representing the law and the prophets as well, which may well be the case, but I like my theory. There is a certain culmination, and tie back to the great revelations of God in the old testament here. God didn't just speak to His prophets, but He had shown Himself to them, twice, and this third time left no doubt about Jesus being the Son of God. He allowed the future leaders of the early church to be present as well, solidifying in them the absolute assurance that Jesus was God's son. I am sure they need that assurance later.

As for want they talked about, it seems it was a lengthy conversation for Peter, in his glory delirium, wants to set up tents so they can continue meeting together. One other thing I like about the story is the fact that God the Father interrupts Peter while he was talking -"While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!” Matt 17:5. The more I think about this story, the more symbolism and fulfillment of scripture and parallels I see - God comes in a cloud, the cloud of incense in the Temple which hides God's presence, the Cloud that leads the people out of Egypt; Jesus' face shining like the sun, Moses face shining after his encounter with God; 7 individuals meeting on the mountain top - the perfect number in God; The Father's command to listen to Jesus - relating to the others times He spoke the law and through the prophets (Moses and Elijah), etc.

Suffice it to say, that this was one of the most significant events of Jesus' ministry period, and one I should think about in greater detail. I also feel like the Lord wants to invite us to experience His glory, His sovereignty, so that we also are assured of who He is, the Son of God, our Lord and Savior. We all are invited up on the mountain!

Lord I pray that we all might experience You in such a way that our lives are transformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment