Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, May 16, 2014

A New Heart and Spirit

The verses for my reflection this morning are from Ezekiel 36:25-28 NIV:

[25] "I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. [26] I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. [27] And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. [28] Then you will live in the land I gave your ancestors; you will be my people, and I will be your God."

As I read these verses, I am amazed at how much God does, and how little I need to do. He will cleanse, He will purify, He will put a new spirit within me, He will give me a new heart, He will put His Holy Spirit within me to move me, I just need to cooperate. What a great deal! It is amazing that our flesh and will buck against this most awesome deal. Yet it is true, we don't want to be obedient, we long after things that are not good, not healthy, or downright sinful. We have the blessing of the Lord, passion for Him and His things available and yet we repeatedly choose the wrong path.

I don't know if its really a consolation, knowing that the nations of Israel and Judah struggled with exactly the same issues. This really is a divine romance, or a sad divine comedy. God is constantly drawing us, wooing us, speaking gently to us, extending us mercy and forgiveness. He has beautiful plans for us, purpose and destinies, and He offers it freely, only asking for affection and relationship in return (the divine romance). Yet, we continue to give ourselves to the opposite stuff, things that will hurt us, wound us, demean us, and ultimately kill us, the whole while seeking for life, meaning, purpose, love and belonging, which are the very things God offers us (this would be a comedy if it wasn't so sad).

Those of us who have found the Lord, and experienced His love, mercy and forgiveness still find ourselves wandering the paths of disobedience, which is equally sad. I am not sure how I find myself thinking that anything other than the Lord, and His plans are good, but I do. The good news, is that I recognize over and over again that I am choosing poorly and come back to the Lord, where He continues to extend mercy, forgiveness and grace. I am His, and He will never reject me nor forsake me. I am so grateful that He always forgives me, always maintains relationship, and is constantly calling me to the higher ground, to my destiny and purpose. He never gives up on me, never abandons me.

Lord, I am so grateful for the new spirit, the new heart and Your Holy Spirit which You put within me. I am so grateful that more and more I am choosing You and walking in Your purpose and calling. I am so glad that my life is more and more focused on You, for You are worthy of all my life. I pray that You will continue to stir the passions within me, to move me in accordance with Your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment