Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bringing Back The Lost


The verses for meditation today come from the Gospel of Luke 15:1-7 NIV:

[1] "Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. [2] But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

[3] Then Jesus told them this parable: [4] “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? [5] And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders [6] and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ [7] I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."

I have always liked this story, and specifically the first two introductory verses, for they speak volumes about the attitude of Jesus toward the lost. As the Pharisees accurately said, "He welcomes sinners". Not only that, but He attracted them!

There are several churches that have taken up this model for church, being what is called seeker sensitive, and when I look at these verses, I can see the wisdom of the approach. We are meant to expand the Kingdom of God, and to do that we need to reach those that aren't in the Kingdom. To do that we need to find ways to attract them.

I don't know that personally I would want to go for that model of church, but the basics of what really must be included in all churches is clear, it is about relationship with Jesus, and drawing people relationally. They gathered to eat and drink, and talk, and listen. These are things that the vast majority of people in the world are comfortable doing, and these situations open the doors relationally. If I wanted to introduce one friend to another, I would do it over a meal or coffee, often times at home or in some public setting where both would be comfortable.

Where the seeker sensitive church approaches this thinking programmatically, I would approach it at a personal level. If we look at the directions that Jesus gave to the disciples when He sent them out, it was focused on establishing relationships, staying with the same person the whole time they were in the town - see the following verses:

Matthew 10:6-8, 11: "Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. [7] As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ [8] Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give. [11] Whatever town or village you enter, search there for some worthy person and stay at their house until you leave."

The focus at that time was the lost sheep of Israel, and that is whom Jesus is speaking about in the verses we started out with from Luke. These are people who were raised with an understanding of God, a lifestyle of religion, but who didn't recognize Him, or understand the relational opportunity they had with God. They had lost their way, were starving and thirsty. He wanted to bring them back to the true source of life and nourishment. Later, first through Peter and then Paul, the Gospel message was expanded to include the gentiles, and for that I am eternally grateful.

So drawing this all together, at least in my mind, there is in the Lord a call to reach to those who are lost sheep of the church, those that once knew their way, were once part of the flock, but have now become lost or separated from the church (clearly not saying that reaching the lost, who never knew God, is a wrong focus). The heart of the Lord is certainly on them, and there is great rejoicing in the Heavens when one is brought back. The way to do it is through invitation and relationship, feasting and conversation. Showing them, allowing them to see there is more than religion, that there is rich relationship with the Lord.

If one wants to get really controversial, one could dig deeper into where the focus of the Lord was in this story, for it clearly wasn't with the 99 other sheep, but was focused on the lost one. I won't go there, but it does cause one to stop and ponder where should I be putting my focus? Clearly this is just one of many stories that Jesus shared, and as such can not become a theological position on its own, but I do think there is a legitimate calling of the Lord to this type of ministry. His heart aches for the lost sheep, those who have lost their way, those who knew the Good Shepherd, but have some how become separated and can no longer hear His voice.

Lord, help us to find the lost sheep and bring them back to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment