Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

We Were Once Lost


This morning I am reading out of the Gospel of Luke 18:9-14 NIV:

[9] "To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: [10] “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. [11] The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people---robbers, evildoers, adulterers---or even like this tax collector. [12] I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

[13] “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

[14] “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

When I read these verses, I am reminded of the verse from James 2:13, "Mercy triumphs over judgment." That is so clearly evident in this story, for the Pharisee comes before God judging others, while the tax-collector just pleads for mercy. One has misunderstood the heart of God, the other is aware of his need for a merciful God.

I think these verses demonstrate an important theme for all of us in the Body of Christ, namely that we must never lose sight of our own humble state. We would all be condemned if not for the gift of mercy, grace and forgiveness from the Lord. We would all be lost except that He called our names, and drew us out of the darkness and deception we lived under. We are the results of God's actions, not our own, and the only righteousness we have comes from Jesus. For us to look down on the lost, the lowly, the sinner, those who have not yet responded to the Lord, is foolish, for we were exactly like them, we were once lost.

Amen Lord, Thank You for Your mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment