Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Light To The Lost

The verse for meditation this morning comes from the Gospel of Mark 2:13-17 NIV:

[13] "Once again Jesus went out beside the lake. A large crowd came to him, and he began to teach them. [14] As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.

[15] While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. [16] When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

[17] On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

These verses are so encouraging, in that we see Jesus openly ministering among the sinners. Last Sunday we were talking about how Jesus is not offended by or uncomfortable with sinners. He is not looking for the perfect, the person wth their act together, the one who is convinced of their own righteousness by way of some works or religious observance (Pharisee), rather He is looking for those who need forgiveness. He was sent for all who are sinners, and that being the case is totally at home among them.

I remember another meditation I had concerning these verses, or similar ones, that Jesus went to the sinners homes. He did experience many of them coming to him to hear Him speak, but He also went to their houses and visited wth them and their friends. He was not willing to let them come to Him, he went to where they lived. If the church is going to effectively represent Jesus, we need to learn to do the same.

There is sometimes a focus in the church on separating ourselves from the world, making sure that the world doesn't influence us, that we might be holy and pure. The focus can become so extreme, that there becomes a fear of associating with sinners lest some of there sinfulness taint us. I think Jesus clearly demonstrated that this was not His ministry style, nor should it be ours.

I am so grateful that Jesus called me while I was yet a sinner, and that is the case for all of us, we were called while we were yet sinners. The church must learn to do the same, and must learn to be comfortable around sinners, that they might see the light of love that burns within us. We must learn to visit them where they live, to show them their significance, and lead them to the life that is eternal. As Jesus says, "In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matt 5:16NIV.

No comments:

Post a Comment