Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, May 2, 2014

Representing the Father

This morning I felt like I should read from John 14:6-14 NIV:

[6] Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. [7] If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

[8] Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

[9] Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? [10] Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. [11] Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. [12] Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. [13] And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

I was reading back through these verses today, and as is always the case, I saw something that caught my eye that I have read before, but that now stands out and requires some additional thought and recognition. Jesus makes an incredible statement in verse 9. He says' , "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father." In other words, if you want to know what the Father is like just look at Jesus. He is the exact representative of the Father (Heb. 1:3).

That is one of the reasons I spend so much time in the Gospels, where I can see and come to understand Jesus, and thus the Father. As Bill Johnson , one of my favorite authors, says "Jesus is perfect Theology". If you want to study God, study Jesus - He is the perfect representation of God.

I have heard that there are people who don't read the bible because all they see is an angry God. Clearly the emotions and actions ascribed to God in the old testament can make Him sound that way at times, but the culmination of all revelation about God is found in Jesus. Thus, when we endeavor to judge what God is like, we must consider the revelation of Jesus life as the final example. I have read several authors who describe the Bible as progressive revelation about God, starting in the old testament, and ending in Jesus. The new testament being then, the further explanation and understanding of what Jesus revealed, as it is applied to our lives. Finally the Holy Spirit continues to reveal God's character to us, through His inner ministry to our hearts and minds.

Also, very important to note verse 11, where Jesus says, even if you don't believe me, at least believe in the works themselves (miracles). These miracles were meant to validate Jesus' ministry, as proof that He was from the Father and was revealing the heart of the Father. The Greek word here is Ergon, which interestingly is the same word that James uses in his writing about faith and works, which I recently wrote about. When using the word Ergon, Jesus is referring to that which He did, that which He demonstrated (miracles, signs and wonders, and love and mercy), and was proof of His revelation of the Father, or that He was from the Father. In the same way, our invitation to do the same works, and then actually doing these works is meant to help us validate that we represent the Father as well.

I think one of the issues of the church today is that we see too few "works" and way too much talk, judgement and religion. The world s not convinced that we represent the Father. The world needs to be convinced that we represent the Father not by our words, but by our works. As James says,"...I will show you my faith by my deeds (works)." (James 2;18b)

Amen Lord, help us to faithfully represent You. Help us to learn to do the same works You did, and greater still (John 14:12)!

No comments:

Post a Comment