Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Come Away With Jesus and Rest


This morning I felt like reading from Mark 6:30-31 NIV:

[30] "The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. [31] Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”

These verses are found in between Jesus sending out the 12 Apostles to do ministry and feeding a crowd of 5000 and immediately follow the section on the beheading of John the Baptist, so although transitional in nature, they have a nugget of significant truth that I hadn't really noticed before, Jesus was encouraging the Apostles to rest and step away from the people for a period.

I guess it really shouldn't be surprising as Jesus called himself the "Good Shepherd" (John 10:11) and caring for His sheep is part or His role. I just had never seen this or noticed this before. I think, at times, those of us in ministry feel obligated to work unceasingly, because the need never goes away, but here Jesus is showing us, with His attentions and words that rest and a time away is the absolute right thing to do.

Notice the invitation is unto Himself, inviting them to come with Him, and this is also a critical point, for our true source of life is Him. So if we need to feel refreshed, renewed and need to be refilled, we should go to the source of life, Jesus. He says that out of Him flows streams of living water (John 4:10-14). This living water reminds me of the prophetic picture in Ezek 47:1-12, that speaks of the river flowing out of the temple. The river brought refreshment and life everywhere it went (verse 9) and there was healing and provision produced by it (verse 12). I was also reminded of the verses found in Matthew's Gospel 11:28-29:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

So let us heed the invitation of the Lord this morning and go with Him to a place of rest and renewal, a place of intimacy and refilling. He is our source of life, so let us drink deeply and be restored, and our souls will find rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment