Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Real Speech, Real Answers

This morning I am reading from Colossians 4:5-6 NIV:

[5] "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. [6] Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

What a simple scripture, and simple suggestion, yet so hard to actually live out. I am probably the worst in the world of making the most of every opportunity. It seems my mind and my thoughts are always on something else, distracted by the business of my life and demands of my job, or whatever excuse I choose for the day. The simple reality is that it is hard to be constantly focused and viewing things from God's perspective. I find hundreds of things ton distract me in a day, and plenty too distract me even when I am praying. Because my mind is elsewhere, I rarely make the most of every opportunity - just being real.

Certainly my conversations are not always full of grace, and seasoned with salt. The idea Paul is expressing is that our speech and conversation should be attractive to those on the outside, unbelievers. Our speech and conversation to each other can sometimes be so full of Christianese, that the normal man cannot comprehend it. Let us be real and loving in our conversations!

Grace is unmerited favor, which as speech should be very attractive to people. Paul is saying people should know, through our speech, that we favor them, just as Jesus favors them. What a difference that could make in man of our lives, if we just knew and believed that people favored us!

Finally Paul exhorts us to all this that me might know how to answer everyone. This where the preceding verses are so helpful, as they describe the opportunity to make our speech acceptable, and appealing. Ultimately,He wants us to be ready to share, ready to love, ready to extend mercy and ready to be real. I think sometimes we feel like we need to have all the answers, and I can tell you that is the last thing we need to do. We need to be real! If we are struggling, say so. There in nothing more encouraging than hearing from someone who is going through exactly the thing you are, but who has hope and joy.

Lord, let us extend ourselves in You as salt and light, hope and healing, mercy and forgiveness, and unmerited favor! Give us the words we need to unlock hearts, bring healing and restoration and You to those we meet. Help us to be focused and aware, not distracted by the work and cares of the day! Let us provide real answers for the real concerns of those we meet.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment