Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, October 13, 2014

The Cost of Following

This morning I am reading from Matthew 10:37-39 NIV:

[37] “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. [38] Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. [39] Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it."

These verses are quite challenging to read, another set of verses that I would rather not have in the Bible. I think it is generally true that we humans do not like to give things or people up, especially those that are precious. We don't like sacrificial living and we don't like discomfort. This certainly doesn't sound like a prosperity gospel of plenty and blessing, which is far more palatable and to our liking.

Taking a closer look at these verses might be helpful, but will certainly leave us with questions, specifically how these verses apply to our own lives. I find that the Lord deals with each of us individually and uniquely. What He addresses in my life He never mentions to someone else. We must never lose sight of His personal and intimate knowledge of us.

The first sentence, while spoken with a negative voice is actually about our love and affection for the Lord. Our call is to love God above all else. This was the first of the Old Testament commandments, and it was described as the most important by Jesus in Matt 22:37. What Jesus is providing us is a good measuring stick of our affections. He desires to be first in our lives. If we have someone or something else that we consider more valuable that is what the statement "worthy of me" means in the Greek - not assigning proper worth. Jesus is supposed to be the one the we value most above everything else.

The second sentence is puzzling to me, primarily because He spoke this before He was crucified. We read this verse with a historical knowledge of what Jesus suffered through, but the people He was speaking to had no such knowledge. Here were His disciples, people following Him, believing that He might be the messiah and He starts talking about how they should embrace being treated like the worst criminal. I am guessing there were plenty of confused looks in the crowd, wondering what He was talking about. Regardless it is ominous language, for the carrying one's cross meant one was already convicted and on their way to their death. Maybe that is exactly what Jesus meant, that we must die to ourselves to follow Him fully, and as such be willing to lay down everything, which is a perfect lead into the following sentence.

Finally losing our life to gain it, in Him, to me speaks of identity. We are all supposed to find ourselves in Him, and our lives have purpose and direction in His plan. We are called live for Him and take our identity from Him. When we choose to follow Him we take on that new identity, as His son or daughter, and it is this context that our lives should be lived.

Lord, thank You for Your word and truth, guidance and direction. You constantly call us forward and deeper into relationship with You. Help us to put You first in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment