Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, October 31, 2014

Responding To A Father's Love

This morning I was reading in Mark's Gospel. I love this story of Jesus raising the little girl from the dead.

Mark 5:21-24, 35-43 NIV:

[21] "When Jesus had again crossed over by boat to the other side of the lake, a large crowd gathered around him while he was by the lake. [22] Then one of the synagogue leaders, named Jairus, came, and when he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet. [23] He pleaded earnestly with him, “My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.” [24] So Jesus went with him....

[35] While Jesus was still speaking, some people came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue leader. “Your daughter is dead,” they said. “Why bother the teacher anymore?”

[36] Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.”

[37] He did not let anyone follow him except Peter, James and John the brother of James. [38] When they came to the home of the synagogue leader, Jesus saw a commotion, with people crying and wailing loudly. [39] He went in and said to them, “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.” [40] But they laughed at him.

After he put them all out, he took the child’s father and mother and the disciples who were with him, and went in where the child was. [41] He took her by the hand and said to her, “Talitha koum!” (which means “Little girl, I say to you, get up!”). [42] Immediately the girl stood up and began to walk around (she was twelve years old). At this they were completely astonished. [43] He gave strict orders not to let anyone know about this, and told them to give her something to eat."

There several things that I really like about this story. First, Jesus is stirred by this man's love for his child. He was a synagogue leader, yet he went himself and pleaded earnestly. The Greek for this phrase could be translated 'with much begging', in other words this man was emotionally distraught at his daughters condition and Jesus was moved with compassion for him.

The reason I like this is that aside from my wife I have no greater emotion or love for anyone other than my children. My heart is immediately impacted if they struggle, if they are sick, or hurt. I want desperately to see their situation improved whatever it is. It is not something I can control but is based in the deep love I have for them. I think this is common for most parents, and it is good to know that Jesus sees and understands this love and responds to it.

Second, Jesus already knows what the outcome will be before He gets to the girl's side. When people tell them that she died, His response was "Don't be afraid, just believe." He knows He will be able to raise her from the dead, and just was not worried about it, how difficult it was, what originally caused her death. He just knew the Father wanted her raised from the dead, and so He obeyed. He knew the Father had the power and provided it to Him through the Holy Spirit. He had no concern about the Father being weak, confused or uninterested.

Third, when the people laughed at Him, He didn't stand for it. He also wasn't looking for some lift in the popularity of His ministry. He purposely moves forward with a minimal crowd. He was more concerned about the parents and the girl than He was about then great increase in popularity He would receive.

Fourthly, His directions are practical, telling the parents to give her something to eat. He cares for our spiritual bodies as well as our physical bodies. Sometimes we think we need to hear something that is great and spiritual and He will be talking to us about getting more sleep, or exercise or eating better. He really does care for us in those ways.

Finally, His invitation to her is extended to all of us who feel stuck, dead inside, hopeless, lifeless, exhausted, or otherwise afflicted. He is reaching out His hand and taking our hand in His and saying, "get up, stand up!" He desires us to be set free from whatever binds us or holds us, and He has the power to set us free. Our only task is to believe Him and stand up. No matter how weak, lifeless, beat-down, or defeated we feel, He can help us to stand up!

Thank You Jesus for Your compassion, Your understanding and Your real love. Thank You for being concerned about us all, and loving my children as much as I love my children!

No comments:

Post a Comment