Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pursue That Which Endures


This morning I was reading in my Bible, and an interesting set of verses have jumped up. Like normal i was asking the Lord for direction about what I should read and the number 495 popped into my head. When this happens I usually will turn to that set of pages in my Bible, read them to see if anything resonates with my heart. If something does, I will also check other chapter and verse combinations that match, in this case I read some chapter 49s. There is a specific theme to three of the verses I read this morning, each having to do with one's purpose and also comparing oneself to others, specifically the wealthy and wicked nonbeliever.

The first set of verses is from Psalm 49:1-2, 5-6, 10, 12-13, 15-17 NIV:

[1] "Hear this, all you peoples; listen, all who live in this world,
[2] both low and high, rich and poor alike:
[5] Why should I fear when evil days come, when wicked deceivers surround me---
[6] those who trust in their wealth and boast of their great riches?
[10] For all can see that the wise die, that the foolish and the senseless also perish, leaving their wealth to others.
[12] People, despite their wealth, do not endure; they are like the beasts that perish.
[13] This is the fate of those who trust in themselves, and of their followers, who approve their sayings.
[15] But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead; he will surely take me to himself.
[16] Do not be overawed when others grow rich, when the splendor of their houses increases;
[17] for they will take nothing with them when they die, their splendor will not descend with them."

The second set of verses is found on page 495 in my paper Bible.

Psalm 73:1-7, 11-13, 16-20, 23-26, 28 NIV:

[1] "Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
[2] But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold.
[3] For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
[4] They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong.
[5] They are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills.
[6] Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence.
[7] From their callous hearts comes iniquity ; their evil imaginations have no limits.
[11] They say, “How would God know? Does the Most High know anything?”
[12] This is what the wicked are like---always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.
[13] Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence.
[16] When I tried to understand all this, it troubled me deeply
[17] till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.
[18] Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin.
[19] How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors!
[20] They are like a dream when one awakes; when you arise, Lord, you will despise them as fantasies.
[23] Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.
[24] You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.
[25] Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
[26] My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
[28] But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds."

And finally from Isaiah 49:1-13, 16 NIV:

[1] "Listen to me, you islands; hear this, you distant nations: Before I was born the Lord called me; from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name.
[2] He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.
[3] He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor. ”
[4] But I said, “I have labored in vain; I have spent my strength for nothing at all. Yet what is due me is in the Lord’s hand, and my reward is with my God.”
[5] And now the Lord says---he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord and my God has been my strength---
[6] he says: “It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.”
[7] This is what the Lord says---the Redeemer and Holy One of Israel---to him who was despised and abhorred by the nation, to the servant of rulers: “Kings will see you and stand up, princes will see and bow down, because of the Lord, who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.”
[8] This is what the Lord says: “In the time of my favor I will answer you, and in the day of salvation I will help you; I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people, to restore the land and to reassign its desolate inheritances,
[9] to say to the captives, ‘Come out,’ and to those in darkness, ‘Be free!’ “They will feed beside the roads and find pasture on every barren hill.
[10] They will neither hunger nor thirst, nor will the desert heat or the sun beat down on them. He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water.
[11] I will turn all my mountains into roads, and my highways will be raised up.
[12] See, they will come from afar---some from the north, some from the west, some from the region of Aswan. ”
[13] Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
[16] See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me."

My meditation this morning is on the pursuit of the Lord, rather than the pursuit of riches and wealth. In both of the last two sets of verses the author was looking at their own life and was thinking to themselves that they had pursued God in vain. They thought that while they had been pursuing God, the wicked and those who trusted in wealth were prospering and seemingly without any problems. The Lord opened the eyes of the authors in both cases, first in Ps. 73 to see the final destiny of those that don't trust in the Lord, and in Is. 49, to see the greater call in their own life.

I felt that this was an important message this morning both for myself and for others. If you are questioning Your pursuit of God, having made decisions based on your efforts to follow His will and you haven't seen His blessing or financial gain, do not fret or believe for a second that God has passed you by. It is easy to look around ourselves and see others that appear to be more blessed, those that live in nicer homes or drive nicer cars, or have better jobs. However, it might appear here on earth, we need to look at the eternal perspective that God sees from. We have no idea the actual impact our lives have in the world, nor do we see our future, but the Lord sees all! We need to learn to trust His perspective, listen to what He says about us, and believe Him when He speaks of our value to Him, and His love for us.

I am reminded of Jeremiah 29:11-13 NIV: "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. [12] Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. [13] You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Let us not be wooed by the attractiveness of passing fame, wealth or glory, but rather let us pursue that which truly endures, that which is the greatest treasure, relationship with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Let us trust that He is good and faithful in all things and our inheritance in Himis beyond comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment