Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Truth and Conviction

This morning I felt lead to read from 1 Timothy 2:1-6 NIV:

[1] "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people--- [2] for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. [3] This is good, and pleases God our Savior, [4] who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. [5] For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, [6] who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time."

As I read these verses I am convicted of my lack of prayer for this present administration, choosing to gripe and complain, rather than pray. There are many things I wish weren't in the Bible, and at present this is one of those things because I would rather gripe and complain. However, I believe this is the Word of the Lord and so, I need to change my mind about this and decide to pray and intercede for this government. Its not like I haven't ever, but the far greater flow out of my mouth and heart is not prayer for this administration. I stand convicted and choose to repent.

Additionally, starting in verse 3, this is such a great description of the heart and direction of God. Summarizing:

1. It pleases God when we pray for those in authority
2. God wants all people to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth
3. Jesus is the One and Only mediator between God and Mankind
4. Jesus gave Himself as a ransom for all people

Each of these is a significant statement of faith and belief. They should drive our thinking and ultimately our actions. As the Body of Christ we must make sure that we express God's love and desire to all people. There is no people group, no nation, no tribe that God does not want to see saved, this includes groups who actively persecute Christians. We must stand on the truth that is expressed here, in love. Jesus is the only mediator between God and Mankind, that means He is the only way. There is no other. To be clear the original Greek is the word mesites whose definition is:

1. one who intervenes between two, either in order to make or restore peace and friendship, or form a compact, or for ratifying a covenant
2. a medium of communication, arbitrator

So on one hand we have mankind and on the other we have God and Jesus is the only one who is the go-between. He is literally than man and God in the middle. This is why it is so important that He was fully man and fully God, for that allows Him to be the mediator. This is why we Christians believe there is only one way to the Father and His dwelling place in Heaven. There are not other ways, other truths, other gods who can fulfill this role. To make a full explanation of this requires going back to the beginning of the Bible and discussing God's plan for mankind, man's sin, and the separation that sin caused between mankind and God. That discussion is a bit much for a morning meditation, but it brings us to this same point of understanding.

Simply put, Jesus is the way, the mediator between God and man, He is our Ransom and God desires that all men might experience salvation and freedom, and understand this truth.

Amen and amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment