Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Hearing The Word And Doing It

This morning I felt like  should read from the letter of James.  He takes a very different approach than Paul does in most of his letters, and though I love Paul, there is a practical side of James that I enjoy as well.  This morning I was praying and thinking about a decision I need to make and just don't have clarity (there are more than a few good options) so I was asking for direction.  When I turned to James, the first thing I  read is the following verse - James 1:5 NIV  "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."  Thank You Lord for confirming You heard me and will answer my prayer.

This past Sunday we were talking about hearing God in our lives.  We were talking about the fact that when God speaks it is because He is interacting in our lives and has perspective that we need or someone else around us needs.  He wants us to know that He is intimately aware of us, and wants to interact with us in a regular manner.  We shared different ways the Lord has spoken to us and showed us His love and care.  It is so good to be reminded of His love and how He is alive!

This morning I was continuing to read James and came across the following verses (not that I hadn't read them before) that is in line with this theme of hearing God's voice (Word).

James 1:22-25 NIV:
[22] "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. [23] Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror [24] and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. [25] But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it---not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it---they will be blessed in what they do."

The straight-forward statement James makes to start this section is perfect.  How often do we deceive ourselves with just listening and nodding our heads, thinking about the wonderful message we have heard, but neglecting to actually change our lives by applying the message to our lives?  I know that I am the master of agreement, and relatively a laggard in application.  When the Lord speaks a word to us, whether it is directive, new understanding, or refreshing something we heard before, it is for our benefit.

His words in our lives should often lead us to repentance (changing how we think and act).  Not that the Lord is constantly punishing us or anything, but rather He is giving guidance and help.  My experience of the Lord's correction and guidance is one of patience and gentleness.  He converses with me in a place of love and acceptance and asks me how things went and how I might do things better going forward.  Sometimes He is in agreement with me concerning my recognition that I didn't do well, but He is never harsh or negative towards me.  He is always encouraging to me, knowing that I can do better.  His encouragement is meant to help me change the way I think and act, becoming more like Him.

So my encouragement today is to listen to the Lord and do what He encourages me to do, for in doing so I will be blessed.  Indeed, I will become more and more like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment