Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Service With A Smile

This morning I  meditating on a few verses from John's Gospel, speaking about servant leadership.  Jesus sets such a clear example of how leadership should serve, I find it difficult to think how we could have any other mind-set.  Here are the verses - John 13:12-17 NIV:

[12] "When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. [13] “You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. [14] Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. [15] I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. [16] Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. [17] Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

I am astounded when I read these verses.  I mean, here is the Son of God, second member of the Trinity, creator of the world, the very Word of God made flesh, and He is washing His disciples feet.  He didn't just humble himself and take on the form of man (Phil 2:6-8), but He humbled Himself as a man, doing the tasks of the lowliest servant - washing the feet of the guests.  He was the guest of honor, the only one worthy of honor in comparison with the rest of the attendees and yet He was washing their feet, deeming them worthy of His service.

He says very clearly  (verse 15) that He was setting an example for us, so that we would do what He has done.  I am amazed that in the Body of Christ our leaders so often expect to be served, rather than be served.  In Hebrews 1:3 it says Jesus is the perfect representation of the Father, and these verses are covered in that statement.  The Father, even though He is the God Almighty, cares for us and blesses us and is showing us His heart through Jesus' actions and words.  His heart is to serve and bless, to be a servant leader.  That is such a completely different approach than what you would think.  The world is full of god's and leaders that demand service and adoration, and never interact with the common people

Jesus says very clearly in verse 16, that none of us who follow him are greater than Him, and as such we should do that which He demonstrated.  Each and every person is worthy of our service.  We are not above, or better than anyone, for aside from Jesus sacrifice, death and resurrection, we are all sinners whose lot should be death.  Jesus provides a stellar example of how we should behave and consider ourselves in the context of one of His followers.  If we follow and want to become like Him, we should act like Him.

Finally in verse 17, Jesus lays the responsibility on us.  He says, "Now that yo know these things..."  In other words, we can no longer claim ignorance.  We see Him living a simple life, loving and serving others, and we are called to do the same.  We can no longer claim ignorance or have any other attitude.

Lord, help us to humble ourselves and embrace a servant's mindset.  Help us to serve all people well, never believing ourselves better than anyone we meet. Let us emulate You and enjoy the blessing of service.  Let us serve others with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment