Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Today Is The Day Of The Lord's Favor!

This morning I had an interesting experience.  As I was just waking up, I must have been asking for God's favor, and I felt like He said the following - "Unless I tell you otherwise, it is safe to assume that you are always under my favor!"

I asked for some greater understanding, and felt like HE replied - "You don't really understand my favor, it is much greater than you think.  You are thinking in human terms about favor, and I am not Human.  As my sons and daughters, you are always under my favor.  I don't have favorites like humans due, you are all my favorites."

I asked him about repentance that often times precedes or is a part of revivals - He said, "Repentance happens when they see themselves, compared to me. It is not a sign of my displeasure. It allows people to come into right relationship with Me."

It is like in the Book of Esther - when she approaches the King, and he extends his scepter, indicating she had his favor.

Esther 4:11 NIV
“All the king's officials and the people of the royal provinces know that for any man or woman who approaches the king in the inner court without being summoned the king has but one law: that they be put to death unless the king extends the gold scepter to them and spares their lives. But thirty days have passed since I was called to go to the king.”

Esther 5:1-3 NIV
[1] "On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king's hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne in the hall, facing the entrance. [2] When he saw Queen Esther standing in the court, he was pleased with her and held out to her the gold scepter that was in his hand. So Esther approached and touched the tip of the scepter. [3] Then the king asked, “What is it, Queen Esther? What is your request? Even up to half the kingdom, it will be given you.”

Notice the favor of the King is indicated by His willingness to have Esther approach His Throne.  When she arrives at his feet, He is ready to give her up to half of his kingdom!  Talk about extreme favor!

We always have the Lord's favor, if we are in relationship with Jesus, for we can always approach His throne of Grace with confidence  knowing that we are in His favor.  Hebrews 4:14-16 NIV says:

[14] "Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. [15] For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are---yet he did not sin. [16] Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

The earliest use of favor in scripture is from Genesis 6:7-8 NIV:

[7] So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created---and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground---for I regret that I have made them. ” [8] But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord."

The Hebrew word used here is Chanan, its Definition is the following:
1) to be gracious, show favour, pity
2) (Qal) to show favour, be gracious
3) (Niphal) to be pitied
4) (Piel) to make gracious, make favourable, be gracious
5) (Poel) to direct favour to, have mercy on
6) (Hophal) to be shown favour, be shown consideration

When we think about Noah, we must understand what God did for Noah, not focus on the rest of story.  He saved Noah in the midst of the whole world.  He saved Noah's family.  He made Noah the ruler of the earth (battle field promotion).  He was given dominance over all. Here are the verses where God's favor  is recognized, after the flood recedes - from Genesis 9:1-3, 8-11 NIV:

[1] "Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. [2] The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. [3] Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

[8] "Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: [9] “I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you [10] and with every living creature that was with you---the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you---every living creature on earth. [11] I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth. ”

God effectively gives Noah the whole earth, dominion over all living things, and makes a covenant with him.  That is what God's favor looks like.  That is a picture of His favor to us.  He saves us  out of a sinful world, He extends His favor over our families, He invites us into His covenant (the new covenant) and relationship.

Here are some other significant verses dealing with God's favor -

Romans 2:10-11 NIV: "but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. [11] For God does not show favoritism."

In other words, He shows favor to us all.

2 Corinthians 6:2 NIV: "For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation."

Amen to that!

James 4:6 NIV: "But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”

The humble here, are those that come to Jesus and receive His salvation.  It is in relationship with Him, and because of Him that we receive God's favor.  When He looks at us, He sees His children, Hidden in Jesus.  How can He do anything but show us favor?!  Recognizing and living in this reality, is what we are invited into through relationship with the Lord.  Really, experiencing the Lord's favor is directly related to our understanding our identity in Him, as His sons and daughters.

As an added confirmation of this theme, when I opened up my bible and the first chapter it opens to is James 2 - titled favoritism is forbidden - James 2:1-9 NIV:

[1] "My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. [2] Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. [3] If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here's a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” [4] have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

[5] Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? [6] But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? [7] Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?

[8] If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. [9] But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers."

As brothers and sisters in the Lord, we are encouraged to practice the same attitude towards each other, that the Lord has towards us, no favorites, but rather everyone enjoying His favor equally.  Our treatment of each other is supposed to mirror or reflect His attitude towards us.

So let us be encouraged, today and every day is the day of the Lord's favor.  Now, is the time of the Lord's favor in our lives.  Let listen to His words in our hearts and embrace them, for we truly are His sons and daughters, each and every one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment