Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, April 24, 2015

Reflections On The Greatness Of God.

Last night I was talking about the Lord with one of my best friends, which is always a great way to spend a Thursday evening. One of the things He was talking about was the counter-intuitive nature of the Lord.

The Lord is not like us, so trying to figure Him out is challenging in our life. For example, it is not through striving or working hard, but rather through surrender that we see Him move more powerfully in and through our lives.  It is not through our hard work or service that He gives us gifts, then they would be called wages.  Instead He gives us gifts, just because we are His sons and daughters and He loves us.

Continuing this counter-intuitive theme, I think these verses where Jesus speaks of losing one's life make good sense - Matthew 10:38-40 NIV: "Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. [39] Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. [40] “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me."

We spoke of the fact that being flesh and blood, with little sensitivity to the spiritual realm, we have a very hard time grasping the realities of God.  His love is beyond comprehension, understanding or even expression.  Whatever we have experienced is such a small part of the reality, there is always more.  Paul wrote about that in his letter to the Ephesians 3:16-19 NIV:

[16] "I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, [17] so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, [18] may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, [19] and to know this love that surpasses knowledge---that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

Continuing that thought, Paul adds the following verses - Ephesians 3:20-21 NIV:

[20] "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, [21] to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

I like that - "immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine".  God is indeed not like us, nor can we fully grasp how great and good and full of love He is!  When He speaks a word, He is speaking from His point of reference, His perspective.  We understand His words from our perspective.  Between the two perspectives there is a huge difference.  There are so many people who in their judgement of God (not a good idea ever) think they have figured out His motivations or actions and find Him guilty of some human limited way of thinking or acting.  That is really laughable, for He is beyond any of our comprehension, or even the combined comprehension of us all.  The words of Isaiah are so true here - Isaiah 55:8-9 NIV: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. [9] “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Really when we look at God, even those things that He has revealed in His Word, we don't fully comprehend His meaning. His words are perfect in Eternity, for He is perfect and that is where He dwells.  At our very best we somewhat grasp the notion of eternity, but never can grasp perfection within that reality.  His Words provide us endless revelation, for we can never grasp the fullness of His meaning in them, but we can grow in our understanding of His meaning.  His Words are a fountain of life.  I am reminded of a few verses.  The first set come from Psalm 36:5-9 NIV:

[5] "Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.
[6] Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. You, Lord, preserve both people and animals.
[7] How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
[8] They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights.
[9] For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light."

The second set come from Proverbs 13:14 NIV: "The teaching of the wise is a fountain of life, turning a person from the snares of death."  Jesus spent His time here on earth revealing the character and nature of God, representing Him in word and deed, and we are well served to meditate and reflect on His words and teaching, for they are a fountain of life!

So I am encouraged today to pursue greater revelation and understanding of God.  He is so much bigger, so much grander, so much more loving than I can ever imagine. He is worthy of my constant attention and even my life.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment