Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Loving And Serving The Body Of Christ

This morning I continued reading through Paul's letter to the Romans.

If you don't ever read large sections of scripture, I would suggest that you try doing that with Paul's letter to the Romans.  There is so much depth in the individual verses, that we can become a bit myopic, just focusing on one or two verses.  I remember the first book in the Bible I really read all the way through was this very letter.  I remember having a completely different perspective upon finishing, as if I had really understood Paul's thought process and grasped it in a way I never had before.  This morning, I was reminded of that as I read chapters 7-12 in this letter.

I wanted to think a bit more about the following verses, for they capture well Paul's idea about how we should live and serve each other in the Body of Christ, something that is good to think upon.

Romans 12:3-16 NIV:

[3] "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. [4] For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, [5] so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. [6] We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; [7] if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; [8] if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

[9] "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. [10] Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. [11] Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. [12] Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. [13] Share with the Lord's people who are in need. Practice hospitality."

[14] "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. [15] Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. [16] Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited."

For me the most significant parts are as follows:

1)  We all belong to the same Body of Christ - there is only one.
2)  Many of us have different gifts, different functions, but we are all supposed to work together.
3)  No one gift is better than any other.
4)  Each of us belongs to all the others.
5)  We are called to love and serve each other, and thus serve the Lord.
6)  We are called to walk side by side with each other, rejoicing with those rejoicing, mourning with those that are mourning, being there for each other.
7)  We are called to love and serve all, showing no favoritism, willing to associate with everyone.

Lord, help me to live my life this way!  I want to serve You and the rest of Your Body, to whom I belong.   Help me to faithfully function as You have called me, and increase my faith that I might serve more effectively.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment