Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Making Every Effort to Grow...

This morning I opened my Bible to Peter's second letter.  I like his writing, its simple and to the point.  Here are the verses I am meditating on today - 2 Peter 1:5-13 NIV:

[5] "For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; [6] and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; [7] and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. [8] For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. [9] But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins. [10] Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, [11] and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

[12] "So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. [13] I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body,.."

I remember when I first read this list of things to add to my life, I was thinking about them like there was an order to them.  I thought that you got one figured out and moved onto the next one.  Now, not so much, for clearly we want them all in our lives, and need to be working on them in parallel.  When I look at that list I see very admirable character qualities, things I would want said about me.  They seem related to the fruit of the Holy Spirit listed in Galatians 5:22-23, but i notice that Peter says that these are things we can add by our efforts.  I don't think this is a one source (my effort) or the other (Holy Spirit) situation, but rather a joining and embracing what He is doing and saying, adding our own will to accelerate and focus our efforts.  It is recognizing that these are good and beneficial and worthy of effort.

I was thinking about how many of us (myself not included) have regular physical exercise regimens, where we "make every effort" to stay in shape, to grow stronger, to lose weight, whatever the goal is individually (I need to do all three).  What I am wondering is if we have ever put together a spiritual and character exercise plan, that would enable us to "make every effort" to grow in these areas?

I think that similar realities apply here. First, it takes regular, more than once a week, effort.  Many people who work out physically do so daily, especially the ones who really want to make progress.  Secondly, it takes consistency, as in a regular schedule that builds the time into your day or weekly regimen.  Thirdly, it helps to talk to others, to read what others say, and to try and find what works for you.  What I do is right for me, and it took me a while to find that correct mix, and its very different from what my wife Tina does. Fourth, it requires a healthy diet, not necessarily the food we eat, but what we consume in other areas, as in media and such.  I find that my spirit is very sensitive to the music I listen to and the TV or movies I watch.  If I am filling myself with stuff that is encouraging to my spirit, I find my efforts to stay on track and focused on the Lord are easier. Lastly, it is always good to train with someone else, to find someone to partner with, to go through a similar regimen.  Some people will work through a book or Bible study with someone else, or even a small group.

I like that Peter says that he will always remind them of these things, even though they already know them all.  Being humble and recognizing that we can always use a review, always benefit from being reminded.  I regularly read back through my journal, refreshing those things that the Lord has been showing me or speaking to me.  In the same way, it is good to go back over and over again the scriptures, for so often the Lord might emphasize something completely differently each time you read sections of scripture.  I have read through Matthew's Gospel probably hundreds of times, yet I always see something that seems  new or fresh.

So this morning, I am reminded and renewed in my daily efforts to grow in my faith and godly character. Lord, please help me to persevere and actually grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment