Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Of Death, Separation and Eternal Destiny

This morning I opened my Bible to  John 16:16 NIV:

[16] "Jesus went on to say, “In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me.”

For me this is a timely word with the recent death of my Dad.  The last time I saw him, I didn't realize these words from Jesus would be true, that in just a little while I would see him no more.  However, that is one of the wonderful promises of eternal life in Heaven that we will see them again.  

There is a peace in knowing, a hope that I will see him again that heals some of the wounds of separation.  His earthly body has passed away, but He still lives hidden now with Christ in Heaven.  Jesus said that He was going to the Father to prepare a place for his followers (John 14:2) and that is where Dad now dwells.  

I am reminded of Paul's thoughts concerning death from his letter to the Philippians 1:20-24 NIV:

[20] "I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. [21] For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. [22] If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! [23] I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; [24] but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body."

Paul, understood the upward call, the eternal reality to which he was called.  He was unafraid, even in joyful anticipation of that reality.  He understood the richness of God, His glorious majesty and eternal love that overflows in that heavenly reality. He also knew that his time on earth was not complete, that he still needed to remain for the sake of all the people he wrote to.  I guess I can take solace in the fact that Dad's efforts here on earth were complete, that his purpose was fulfilled.  He had run the race and finished strong. 

I am so grateful for the example of his life, a life lived with purpose and calling.  I am hopefully a better man because of his example and life.  I pray that one of these days, when I have finished my race, and fulfilled God's purposes and callings that I will see him again.  I am confident of the Lord's promises and I will rest on them.  My desire is to hear as I am sure he heard, "Well done, good an faithful servant!"  Until that time I will honor him and our Lord with my life.  I will pursue the Lord in relationship even as he did, and embrace all the glorious hope for eternal life.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment