Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, November 20, 2015

Yes, I Know You...

Lately I have been all over the place in scripture, and just trying to stay engaged.  I decided to read some in Matthew's Gospel, which just feels comfortable to me, as I have read it so many times. The verses that I am thinking about this morning are the following - Matthew 7:21-23 NIV:

[21] “Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. [22] Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' [23] Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

The last sentence kind of grabs your attention, and is the focus of my deeper digging today.  The NASB translates that sentence as follows: "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS."  Looking at the original Greek, the NASB translation is more accurate.

Two things stand out to me in this sentence.  First, the reason Jesus tells them to depart is because He never knew them, as in He didn't have relationship with them.  The Greek word Ginosko is quite specific, and it means - to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel.  This word is also a Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman.  In other words this is not a casual knowing, but is representative of an intimate knowledge, a deeper understanding of someone.  Jesus is quite specific, He isn't impressed with the actions in His name, He is interested in relationship.  He isn't interested in people knowing His name, His title, what He likes, or trying to imitate Him - He is interested in relationship.

Secondly, He appears to equate a lack of relationship with practicing lawlessness.  The two Greek words used here are also quite specific.  This is not casual or accidental breaking of the law, but rather people who make an effort and labor in order to profit from this lawlessness.  That is a very interesting statement, and one I am sure I don't fully grasp.  I don't think Jesus is speaking to everyone in this statement, but is focused on people who are practicing religion for gain, and without real relationship with Him.  I could never understand how something like that could occur, but have read different things about the amazing number of pastors and preachers who don't pray, and who don't seem to have a real relationship with the Lord.  There are many who love the idea of religion, who love the church, who love leading people, who love being in charge, or positions of honor or authority but who don't know Him.  In His day, this would likely have been many of the Pharisees. In our day, this might represent not just some pastors and churchmen, but also those people who say and do things in the name of God, or religion, yet don't really have a real relationship with the Lord.

I will be the first to say that judging someone else's relationship with the Lord is dangerous waters.  Judgment is the Lord's role, not ours.  I can only look at my own life, and identify whether His statement is true for me, whether I know Him and He knows me.  The encouragement is clear, we want Him to be able to say, "yes, I know you!"  What that looks like for me is time in prayer, making an effort to know Him, converse with Him, listen to Him, read about Him, and trying to live my life following Him, doing those things He tells me to do.  I try to understand who I am in Him, how He sees me, what He thinks about me. I believe that I continue to grow in relationship with Him every day.  I am grateful that my desire for relationship with Him is reciprocated, and He has made a way for us to be in relationship with Him, through the Holy Spirit living within us.  I am so encouraged that He actually takes an interest in me and desires to guide, direct, empower and help me.  

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment